Javik

Dahua is rebranded as Cantek (???)

I have absolutely no idea what is going on here. I am looking for a certain new Dahua NVR, and I find this website, which has it, except they call it a "Cantek" NVR.

If I search their catalog for Dahua, no results for Dahua come up, but instead I get the entire Dahua product line, renamed as "Cantek".

https://www.surveillance-video.com/nsearch/?cat=0&q=dahua#/?keywords=dahua&search_return=all

I'm looking for the "DH-NVR608-32-4K". They've got it except they're calling it a "Cantek CW-NVR608-32-4K":

https://www.surveillance-video.com/network-cw-nvr608-32-4k.html/

And I click on the specifications PDF, well what do you know, but it is Dahua's specifications page:

https://www.surveillance-video.com/media/lanot/attachments/customimport/CW-NVR608-32-4K.pdf

Screenshot:

285038_1.png

What. The. Heck. ???

Please explain why a company would do this. I do not see the point of being deceptive and confusing your potential customers.

Please explain why a company would do this. I do not see the point of being deceptive and confusing your potential customers.

Its not deceptive. Its STANDARD practice in many industries including this one.

They pay the OEM to make an NVR with their name on it. They provide support not the OEM.

IF you are confused you need to learn about how OEM's do business.

CANTEK is a wholly owned subsidiary of 123 Security Products, Inc. They in turn sell Dahua products

I get the OEM thing but it places that advertise Dahua with a picture of the product having a Dahua logo on it should have a disclaimer on them and granted, some of them do. They should indicate that while the product they sell is made by Dahua, it is not an branded as such. It's as simple as that.

I've only recently decided to upgrade my surveillance system and purchase a dedicated NVR. I bought one from Amazon that was advertised as a Dahua NVR4416-16P-4K with a picture that looked like the one on Dahua's website with the Dahua logo. If you go to Dahua's website it lists Max 256Mbps incoming bandwidth, Up to 12Mp resolution. The NVR that was delivered didn't look like the picture at all and had a model number of NVR404HP6-16-4K.

So without disclosures... how am I supposed to know that it could be made by Dahua?

The only thing I could do was Google the NVR404HP6-16-4K model number which came back as Winic or Cantec. The pictures of these two "brands" look EXACTLY like the NVR that arrived but NOTHING like the Dahua. On the Winic page the specs listed were Max 200Mbps incoming bandwidth & Up to 5Mp resolution preview & playback.

The faceplate had a spot for a DVD player/recorder but only had a blank faceplate. I'm not sure how I would go about hooking up a DVD without taking up one of the precious sata ports... The Dahua NVR did not have a spot for a DVD.

To me this looks like a "bait and switch" rather than, oh it's just an OEM but the specs are the same. I'm not sure why the case would look so different too. Maybe one of you folks with more experience can elaborate on that. Maybe one was a 2014/2015 model and the others were 2016... All they had to do was tell me.... and list the real specs. I mean I don't know what to believe, a site the matches the model number exactly with a picture that matches the NVR or the Amazon page the lists the specs and says it's a Dahua with a picture that looks nothing like the NVR that was delivered. I think I'd trust the Winic page... If it were truly and OEM Dahua, I'd expect it to look the same but without a Dahua logo.

I read on another Surveillance Equipment website that if you were to buy equipment on Amazon, Dahua wouldn't honor the 3 year warranty so you should buy from them and they would guarantee the product for 3 years. I don't believe Dahua will honor the warranty on their OEM stuff either or maybe they do, either way since their prices were double, I'll take my chances on the Amazon stuff... OEM is OEM, right? I've bought several cameras from Amazon that I'm perfectly happy with. They were advertised as Dahua but showed up in the OEM style boxes. The picture and the specs matched which is the important part. I was actually surprised when one that I ordered showed up in a real Dahua box and the camera had the Dahua logo on it. I feel like putting it in a glass display case and putting it on the mantel, since "true" Dahua equipment seems so hard to come by.

An Isuzu Rodeo rebadged as a Honda Passport is OEM. What I got seems more like a fake rolex, except a fake rolex looks a lot like a real rolex until you take a real close look. The phony rolex they sent me doesn't even look like a real one... Thank goodness Amazon is taking it back.

It sounds like they sent you the wrong NVR if you ordered NVR4416-16P-4K and received the NVR404HP6-16-4K.

The biggest difference is the 4416 can encode in H265/H264 and record up to 12mp on 24 TB where as the 404 is H264 and 5mp on 16 TB.

They are both nice NVR's but not even close to being the same. I would send it back and get the one you ordered.

As far as the faceplate on the 404 it is normal not to come with a DVD installed, but you can put one in.

Here is Dahua's statement on their warranty

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/news/statement-on-purchasing-dahua-technology-products--66.html