SeattleBrian

Sanity Check - Occasional move of NVR to different home

All,

My good friend, a General Contractor (GC), had $15,000 of tools stolen from his job site. Since I recently lost my job, I offered to set up an NVR at his remodel project (ie: in his customer's house). My first DVR (Dahua NVR4216) and cameras are in transit to me now.

This will be a temporary installation. When the remodel is complete, I'll move the system to his next customer's home.

I have some computer expertise, so the camera side of the NVR isn't daunting. My Gawd - on the internet side, this stuff can be intimidating! I sometimes think "What have I gotten myself into? Will I be over my head with this network stuff?"

The GC assures me his customers have broadband that we can tap into. When the NVR has an alarm (eg: motion detect), SMS messages and remote real-time video monitoring is essential.

The various GC customers will have a range of internet access, ISP's, cable modems, even DSL or dishTV. Moving systems and re-configuring is daunting, at this stage.

I'm looking for general advice. What should I study while waiting for my equipment? I've been reading up on;

- Port forwarding (which seems to differ for every ISP),

-- I plan to plug a cable into the customer's home network. My system will be an independent subnet w/ my own NVR, POE switch, WiFi 80211ac Access Point for some wireless cams)

- DDNS (use Dahua DDNS or no-ip.com, DNSdynamic, etc)

- Android Apps (is gDMSS pro the best?)

- Remote access: the difference between reaching the NVR, vs reaching the camera itself.

- etc

How best to peal the onion? Sorry, I don't have a specific question. I'm looking for guidance from this sage, wise, and experienced group of experts. (I hope flattery helps my cause! " title="Applause" /> )

Brian

Id have your friend sell his client the cameras, at least at cost. That way your not dealing with moving them every time anyhow.

If you have cox internet you can set it up to have more than one ip for an extra fee per month and then put the cameras on their own router/switch and nvr. That way its not on the customers home network.