Sign in to follow this  
Ozone

How to Power an IP Camera?

I posted earlier that my 2 ACTI KCM-5611 wouldn't power on via POE. After attempting to repair the camera's they still will not power on over POE. They do however power through the 12 volt input on the back and they work flawlessly. I have decided to cut my losses and just power them through the 12v input.

This may come as a surprise but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. First I have a wallwart that powers exactly what the camera needs, 12v at 1500mA. I assume, that since I will be running the power cable roughly 50ft, that this will not suffice due to voltage drop.

Just throwing this out there as it may be a solution but I purchased this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intocircuit-30W-Waterproof-LED-Power-Supply-Driver-Transformer-120V-to-12V-/321389430261?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160

It is a 12 volt adapter that wattage is 30watts or 2.5amps. Is this too powerful and will fry my camera?

My last question is how do I securely plug in the wiring into the camera? From the picture below you will see that there is no real way to securely attach the wires.

285239_1.jpg

You can easily power it via passive PoE, using unused twisted pairs in UTP cable (blue pair= +, brown pair = -), and I think it will work on 50 ft cable length (according to KCM-5611 datasheet, power consumption is 8.5 W ie. 700 mA @ 12 V). Power supply adapter can't be "too powerful", only "not powerful enough". If it's 12 V and approx 1A or more it will do fine.