rpinkc

ADI's "W Box" vs Hikvision (are they really the same?)

Ok - I know Adi's "house brand" "w box" is manufactured by Hikvision. (Hikvision of course oem's many other cameras too).

Adi stocks both "brands", many of which have almost identical specs. Obviously there is a decent price difference between the two (I generally purchase direct from Adi in the United States)...

My question is does any know if there is any real difference in the quality (generally speaking) from the 2 -

More specifically are Wbox cameras just a more economical "private label" of the same Hikvision cameras which is less expensive due to lack of "name brand markup"

OR Is Wbox an inferior product (comparatively speaking) which Hikvision just happens to make for Adi (using cheaper components / methods etc than the actual Hikvision brand?).

I would note that Adi puts a 5 year warranty on the Wbox (which in theory is nice)..

(Typical use case is US Only product, 3mp ip , 3-12mm vf lense)

Yes I know that Hikvision is not anyone's top choice, so I'm prepared for a few replies implying that both products are junk (however) I've been pleased with hiks cameras historically.

from what I have seen WBOX is the older HIK stuff. Older sensors, dsp and other components. I also saw article that WBOX has the old hikvision security issues since hardware and software is older. Maybe FW will fix this.

I don't buy from ADI since I can find most of the HIK gear cheaper online than my dealer cost from ADI. Most of the online guys I buy from buy from ADI. They get better price and sell to anyone online. Check your ADI cost vs what you can find it for online.

There are a couple of HIK oem's that have a great selection and price. Most of it will be the same.

from what I have seen WBOX is the older HIK stuff. Older sensors, dsp and other components. I also saw article that WBOX has the old hikvision security issues since hardware and software is older. Maybe FW will fix this.

I don't buy from ADI since I can find most of the HIK gear cheaper online than my dealer cost from ADI. Most of the online guys I buy from buy from ADI. They get better price and sell to anyone online. Check your ADI cost vs what you can find it for online.

There are a couple of HIK oem's that have a great selection and price. Most of it will be the same.

I am currently looking for 6-8 3MP cameras and NVR setup, the alarm company are trying to sell me the 31DF28 W Box is thais bad?

Can you send a link or two that sell HIK online.

Are you saying to not purchase WBox cameras because they are using obsolete components?

Who what is FW?

Thanks

Hi all, first post here.

I have installed a few XBox cams both analog and IP. So far I'm fairly pleased with them, the price is certainly right and the performance is acceptable for non-critical applications. I have five around my home (all 2MP; three fixed 2.8mm domes and two fixed 4mm bullets) and no complaints.

I can't say how they compare to HIK's name brand stuff as I haven't installed them.

Even with these security holes, the cameras should be safe in a LAN environment, as one would need to bust through the firewall to get access to the cameras' IP addresses and ports (I think I'm correct here - please correct this if I'm wrong). Those addresses and ports on the firewall are never open by default. Changing the default password, of course, is still a very good idea.

The NVR/DVR devices are another story, though. But the security issues I'm reading of are about the cameras, not the NVRs. I don't know about any issues with these - having a strong password is certainly the first defense.