videocheez

How to Remote Access NVR Without Router Port Forward

I have a client that wants me to install an NVR and he asked if there are any alternative ways that he can be able to remotely view his cameras without making fire wall and router penetrations. I told him that the only thing that I could think of was to add an additional DSL line to his house and to set up his NVR and a separate router from that DSL modem. He runs a business from his home and has a lot of critical information about many public companies financial analysis of new products and sales forecasting and is very concerned about that this private information could be compromised. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks in advance, VC

videocheez,

You can use p2p (peer to peer).

Your client would view directly from the NVR, remotely. No port forwarding needed.

To establish the initial connection, a p2p server is used to connect the client's pc (or cell phone, tablet, etc) to the NVR. Once the connection is established, the p2p server drops out of the loop.

The initial connection takes longer with p2p vs a port forward solution. But once the connection is established, it's just as fast.

Only set up p2p to the NVR, not the cameras. It's more secure.

I'm a newbie. I've shared my shallow understanding - so be advised. Check this thread for details:

ID or Serial No. based remote access: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43507&start=0

Brian

Another possibility, though hokey.

Some wireless routers have a "guest" wifi channel. The router only allows guests to reach the internet. No access to the local net, printers, other PCs, etc. Drawback: local viewing for your client is troublesome.

Last possibility: VPN.

A quick and easy solution might be to use something like teamviewer. I have it loaded on my home laptop, I just 'teamviewer' in remotely and can view my NVR via IP address.

A quick and easy solution might be to use something like teamviewer. I have it loaded on my home laptop, I just 'teamviewer' in remotely and can view my NVR via IP address.

Thanks. That sounds like something worth investigating. Is any port forwarding required?

HIKVISION NVR/DVR comes with a P2P inbuild function. EZVIZ they called it.

You can use that.

Alternatively, set up a VPN. Use the VPN to connect to the home network and view. It is way more secure than the EZVIZ imho.