mabar1

After market heater options for IP bullets and domes

Hello all,

Many outdoor ip cams I have used are only rated to 0 Celsius / 14 Fahrenheit. We haven't had too many issues with cold weather causing outages, but sometimes in very cold temps some customer cameras will drop off until it warms up again.

I was wondering if anyone has a simple product, or diy solution to add a small amount of heat to a camera to potentially offset the bitter cold.

Most of what I find online is for external camera housings.

I see what appears to be adhesive "heat tape" in some heated camera housings, or a similar heat sink that warms the metal housing of the camera.

One issue I was thinking might be a problem is a camera powered by POE... one would need to know how to connect to power from the camera board to use the heater... and it would need to be proper power type (AC/DC) and voltage. This might also impact a power budget on a poe switch.

Anyway, If anyone has suggestions, or has dealt with the same issue, I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks.

My guess would be if you did use a heat tape type of solution seperate power may be necessary. I know that Geovision does have a line of cold weather cameras. You can get heated housings pretty cheap now but you still have the problem of getting 24vac, for most housing, to them.

Thanks for the input. I can get additional cold weather rated cameras if needed for sure. Just wondering what my option would be to try to deal with isolated problems without the expense of replacing cameras.

I would try a heated housing around a current camera they can be found for as low as 50.00 or so. We have done this in a carwash to give additonal protection to cameras that were subject to spray and cold weather.