cirtemid

Want to mix and match dvr and cameras

Hello all. I have two Swann DVR systems, one is a D1 type and the other is the 960H type. I want to add some PTZ cameras to the systems, but since I am having an extremely difficult time finding Swann PTZ cameras, I wanted to bite the bullet and try to use a different brand PTZ camera which is actually available.

Has anyone done anything like this? I am thinking of getting some PTZ cameras from Lorex, Dahua, or any other brands that work with systems comparable to my Swann systems. Does anyone know if there are major compatibility problems software or hardware-wise between the different brands? Are the wire connections different between different brands? I've only used Swann, so I haven't looked into the other brands.

Thanks for any and all help.

I have a GW NVR with 4 GW cameras and 4 reollink cameras. All the 8 cameras are ONVIF and function, but I do have issues with the motion record settings on the non GW cameras,, the timezone's get mixed up when I reset the NVR. The GW cameras on the GW NVR work flawlessly. Maybe with the higher end cameras you can switch and swap,, but with these lower end ones if I were to do it over I would get the same brand cameras as the DVR/NVR

Check if the DVR support coaxial communication between the camera and the DVR.

If it does, you are best using back the same brand of ptz camera that support coaxial communication. Don't have to run rs485 cable.

Otherwise, ensure that your DVR have RS-485 port for ptz control. Not all DVR have RS-485 communication port and support ptz control.

If your DVR doesn't, that means it cannot control the ptz camera. You'll have to change your DVR if you want ptz control.

Check out the DVR manual to see which protocol it support. You can always switch to pelco-d protocol for both cameras and dvr if they are from different brand and doesn't have any other compatible protocol.

Different brand have their own different protocol, which gave them additional functions. That's why as far as possible, try using same brand.

It'll take some tinkering if it's your first ptz camera to get everything right.

If possible, don't install the camera first. Set it up beside your DVR, connect everything up and set up the protocol, id and make sure it works before installing.

Most ptz cameras are configured using DIP switch in the cameras to set the protocol and channel.

Most unbranded default to Pelco-D and channel 1. Others default to their own brand, e.g. hikvision, samsung, etc.

If you only have 1 ptz, you might not need to do any configuration. Otherwise, you'll need to set the other cameras to different channels.

Some requires an additional controller to be purchased to be connected to the camera to configure it. Some require a ptz controller to set the channels.

That's why i suggest putting all cameras you are going to install next to the dvr, cable them up as if you are installing them, and get all configuration right before mounting them up.

Hello all. I have two Swann DVR systems, one is a D1 type and the other is the 960H type. I want to add some PTZ cameras to the systems, but since I am having an extremely difficult time finding Swann PTZ cameras, I wanted to bite the bullet and try to use a different brand PTZ camera which is actually available.

Has anyone done anything like this? I am thinking of getting some PTZ cameras from Lorex, Dahua, or any other brands that work with systems comparable to my Swann systems. Does anyone know if there are major compatibility problems software or hardware-wise between the different brands? Are the wire connections different between different brands? I've only used Swann, so I haven't looked into the other brands.

Thanks for any and all help.

Hi you will have no problem at all. But you can only use standard analog PTZ with both your systems .... Other than that you will have no problems

Ok, thank you all for the advice. I will proceed from here. I'll attempt to post again if any progress is made. Thanks again.