Sign in to follow this  
noeyedeer

DVR & external HD

If I buy a DVR with e-sata would I be able to put a small HD in the unit & perhaps a 4TB HD in an external HD & record directly to the external one? if so any recommendations what DVR to go for in the 16 channel range?

If I buy a DVR with e-sata would I be able to put a small HD in the unit & perhaps a 4TB HD in an external HD & record directly to the external one? if so any recommendations what DVR to go for in the 16 channel range?

Hi. What is your reason for e sata. You have a limit on cable length.

Hi. What is your reason for e sata. You have a limit on cable length.

To record away from the DVR in case it gets stolen, ive tried the FTP & a

WD mycloud route with no success.

If this is not a good idea please advise.

What dvr to go for?

E-Sata is probably in this case the worst solution to choose. Direct connections on small distance cables to "secure" recordings is not a good solution. The presumable thief can trace the cable and steal the e-sata device, too, or at least inject higher power through the cable and burn the "safe" hdd.

Even on recording on FTP site is not secure, because this thief can access the stolen DVR, verify the connection details of the FTP site (which are stored on DVR), connect on FTP with same user/pass and delete all data, and maybe steal some more info from the site.

The best option is to use a DVR combined with a NVR. The DVR will store data locally, and the NVR (on different location) can connect to the DVR channels and record them as IP cameras. This way the thief cannot see the user/pass details to connect to the NVR, and also you can have good control on the recording perio by selecting different schedule fro eac channel (maybe you do not need all channels stored on NVR). Also, you can set the NVR to record channels from different DVR's, this way with one NVR you can protect multiple sites assuming the network bandwith is sufficient...

=Thank you for your reply"brebenac" I will try to digest that & give it a go.

Would I need an NVR with the same amount of channels as my DVR?