oh6hfx

Dahua HFW4300S snapshot pulling stops after a while

I have a weather station with two identical HFW4300S running on an island: http://www.krunni.com

Web server in krunni.com is set to run cron job every 2 minutes to download a jpg snapshot from both cameras.

http://user:password@dynamic_dns:port/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi

So far it has worked fine since june 2015, but now there is an issue with other camera.

After 10-20 times of loading snapshot the server wont connect to other camera anymore. Rebooting the camera

helps, and I got snapshot again 10-20 times. Sometimes the issue goes off and it works two-three times but

usually always it stops totally to give snapshots.

I have triple-checked both cameras settings side-by-side and they are identical. Only difference is the LAN IP, of course.

On server side, I have tried to put cron job to run only 8, even 12 minutes between, but eventually that does not help. It seems to be the

amount of "pulls" the camera can stand, not necessarily frequent downloads.

In camera log I have looked that when issue happens, user default is logged in but never logged out. Snapshot loads before that point

user default always logs also out. So it seems that user account is somehow stuck?

As the station is run by solar power, we put it behind a timer during dark wintertime. It was going up twice a day and it kept battery

charged enough. Now when we have sun up again and enough charge, timer is on all the time. Could it be that several power off/on cycles

during winter have damaged the camera or software? Otherwise I can still login in the camera after issue, and live video can be viewed well.

I am thinking about doing a factory default reset for the camera but as the station is in a remote location and the router has different

LAN IP range than camera after reset, I doubt if something goes wrong and I cannot access the whole station anymore. Theretically it should

be ok, as I can access the router from WAN and change the LAN side subnet, but you never know what happens... We have still maybe 1-2 weeks

possible to enter the island with snowmobile but after that ice melts and it takes 1-2 months until it is possible to enter with a boat.

So far I have tried:

Deleted the account which is used to downloads jpgs and created it again

Changed wan and lan side HTTP and TCP ports

Tried different user account

Turned on anonymous login for viewing

One oddity is also that I cannot make these cameras to send snapshot to FTP. My HFW4300S installed at home can do it easily, but

these both do not even bother to connect to the FTP server, as I have looked in the logs.. have tried at least three different FTP servers.

Sorry for a long post but I tried to explain all the things are relevant to give some ideas.

Johannes

First thing first: upgrade the firmware and do a complete reset of the devices.

Are you using default 80 ports? Are you sure there isn't a bot/automated system trying to connect to your camera (other than you) that messes things up?

First thing first: upgrade the firmware and do a complete reset of the devices.

Are you using default 80 ports? Are you sure there isn't a bot/automated system trying to connect to your camera (other than you) that messes things up?

Yes the reset and firmware upgrade are in my to-do list but as I can not physically access the site until about 2 months, I'm asking for ideas what could I do

remotely. The risk losing connection totally after resetting camera remotely and doing firmware update is too big.

In camera I have port 80 on lan side and port 8082 on wan side. I have also changed all wan side ports once to drop down all possible bots/intruders. Other camera

in wan port 8081 is running fine.

Johannes

I've got 2 Dahuas that will only take one snapshot and then stop.

Camera 1

Software Version2.420.0007.0.R, build : 2015-04-09

WEB Version3.2.1.263030

ONVIF Version2.4.1

Camera 2

Device TypeIPC-HFW4300S

Software Version2.420.0006.0.R, build : 2015-03-11

WEB Version3.2.1.256412

ONVIF Version2.4.1

Unless there is a different URL for getting snapshots off these cameras.