jweaver

BNC dimensions different from RG59 cable.

Wherever you bought the siamese cable from should also have compatible compression ends .

I have managed to source BNCs for an AWG20 cable now.. But the disccussion has moved on.. Now we are talking about Copper Coated Steel and whether its appropreate for CCTV.

After putting a call into my Radio Ham colleague in work, who I would argue knows more about Radio Principals that the vast majority of the planet and his view is that CCS is fine for this application, especially consideriong my 10-20m runs.

So I am going to stick with what I have.. If it doens't work out, then I will gladly eat humble pie.. But I have it on good authority from 2 experts in their field that there is nothing wrong with the cable I have.

Experts in 50ohm not 75 were copper is best .

You still have not said which format your cameras are

Unlike you ham experts I have over 30 years and I would still look into cat5

First it's cheaper as you get 4 cameras down one cable plus a year or so you might want better once you have CCTV and cat5 runs all formats

Sorry.. I should have said, its Hikvision and therefore TVI...

First of all, I am not saying that copper is NOT best.. Of course it is, certainly better than CCA and CCS cables.. I am just saying that my 2 "expert" friends do not believe that this will be a problem for 7-15m runs (I have done some measurements and they are even shorter than I thought).. Their view is that at these sort of lenghts it won't matter..

I also do not doubt that CAT5 is better.. And in truth, I have more CAT5 than I know what to do with it (as I work in IP).. But the additional costs of baluns put me off.

I just preferred COAX as it just feels stronger.. Since my DVR is in the airing cupboard, I just felt that it was easy to put strain on the cables and felt that a Coax and BNC felt better for my application.. But since all my cabling is in a loft space with 20mm holes into the eaves, I could so easily pull CAT5 through in a matter of minutes if I wanted too.

So I am stuck with COAX now, even if I wanted to change, its too late as I can't get the CAT5 from work, and the cost of Baluns would be 2x the cost of COAX.

With hindsight, I would have ordered some Baluns from China (Which cost £1 per pair (not sure if they are any good)) and would have done the whole thing in CAT5... But its too late for that now.. I am commited.

Jon

Hi you don't need to go China for £1 baluns ..... U.K. Is full of £1 baluns.

By saying dvr I guess your installing analog system ..... So yes at that cable distance you should be fine.

Hi you don't need to go China for £1 baluns ..... U.K. Is full of £1 baluns.

By saying dvr I guess your installing analog system ..... So yes at that cable distance you should be fine.

Well analogue in as mch as it uses coax, but its Hikvision and therefore TVI which is digital. is this what you ment by analogue?