Sign in to follow this  
trooper

Indoor cameras outside

Ok, so I f#@ked up and bought a indoor Hikvision camera ptz to be used outside. Anyone else done this and how long diod or would the camera last????

The camera is under eaves so doesn't get direct rain on it. No snow where I live either.

How long will it last???

As long as water/moisture doesn't get into the equipment, it'll last about the same as you if installed indoor.

That's my personal opinion though.

Differences is it's not water resistance and might not have heater element built in against cold weather. (But then again, if you keep the camera constantly operating, it's gonna be warm enough).

Its only going to take the slightest bit of moisture to get on the circuit board for those tracks to dissolved in a matter of hours. 12V + water = no copper

With a bit of rain & some wind water dropletts WILL get to it

I had some giant 8' boxes I brought home for my stepson (age 11) to build a fort. Of course...I wired up a little security camera (outsiede the heavy-duty box) to a 7" monitor (inside the box). He and his friends thought it was way cool to have a fort with a security system.

The camera is outside, and it's an indoor ball/turret camera. Nothing special, just a cheapo analog camera I never used. It's rained a couple of times (but not super heavy) and the camera's still going.

Water will kill it at some point though. I'm surprised it lasted these past two months. I bet the coming summer Monsoons will render it toast.