Sign in to follow this  
wesbc

Advice needed

Hi all. Newbie here. Due to certain event that took place recently, even small town usa is not safe and am now investigating in a CCTV solution to help protect my family's business. Most of all to protect my family.

Sorry for the long winded post, I've begun researching and searching and reading all the wonderful post/info. If I have more time I would continue researching myself, but need to get this done asap. I understand if that's the case that I should just ask a pro to do the install, but would like to see if I can do this myself. I'm looking to keep cost down.

Application will be for monitoring within a restaurant.

I've seen complete system that goes for approx $800

http://www.surveillance-video.com/alldi2cocasy.html

Are they any good?

What I want is at least 8 channel standalone DVR. Reason for this is for allowing me to add more cam if necessary and standalone due to needing this asap and don't have the time and resouce for a DVR card. The package above is using the NUVICO JV series. I was actually thinking about the NUVICO DV3 8000n series and add my own HD. Now I've notice each have different compression method and resolution. Any advice what's best? I'm familar with MPEG-4 and h.264, but not too familary with Advance M-JPEG or Wavelet. What is the min resolution/fps should I look for?

Next of cause would be cameras and boy are there choices. Dom styles, bullet style, box style. I've been given some pros/cons. Such as with certain Dom style, people won't know where the cameras are pointing. Sort of like, you don't know where you are being watched, so that you would always be on alert. Or that you can't hide behind the camera. Hope you know what I mean.

One thing I've been told about is camera that switches to B&W mode at night for extra contrast. Not sure if it's something that is needed indoor. One of the area will have a light on the entire evening and another are would be dark.

And lastly, resolutions. That was one of the reason I looked into the DVR Card vs stand alone as I've read that you can record at higher resolution with PC base solution. But what resolution do I really need? I do want to be able to see detail, but would a standard resolution be enough.

I'm looking to install 2 camera, one in front with the register. Room is approx 8'x25' with one wall full of windows and door way. So plenty of day light. Night time lighting will be recess lighting and when closed, we have floursent lighting above the counter.

Second camera will be in the dinning room which is approx 30'x40' with only 2 windows. Most of the lighting will be from recess lighting and when closed, no lighting.

I'll likely add additional camera later on for identification pointing at the door way infront and 2 other access area toward the back of the dinning room. Also possibly some external camera.

What I want to know is if the DVR I'm selecting good enough and what kind of camera system should I be looking for. Please be as detail and specific as possible. I'm looking to implement this within the next week. What should I expect in regards to installation. I know there are cables run for the camera, and I suppose also another cable run for power to the camera too?

Thanks for any advice.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I know this does not answer all your questions but here is a link to a thread about that dvr http://www.cctvforum.com/about4763.html&highlight=nvjv4000

As far as camera type goes, I would go with domes on the retail floor or resturant and box style behind the cash register facing the customer. Like you said, they - the customer - won't know where the dome is pointing and they WILL know that the box camera is on them. Depending on your lighting, if it is subdued, you might need a camera that switches to B/W. Guess it depends on what you want to capture.