knighty

system upgrade time

hi

it's time to upgrade our cctv system to add more cameras

current system

pc running 2x 8 channel dvr cards and idvr4000 software (cards and software came together years ago)

currently have 12 cameras, recording 24/7 at D1 resolution and 20fps

Boss likes the 24/7 recording. 20fps is overkill but have 14Tb of storage so might as well use it

cameras are a mix, the important ones are nice Samsung cameras, there's 3 not so important ones which are just cheap ebay cameras

system works great - but it doesn't have to do much, just record 24/7 and let us playback/view as needed

they're expanding the factory so I need to add more cameras, more than the 16 limit we have right now

can anyone give me advice on the best way to go ?

I can't see many DVR systems that support more than 16 cameras, or which let me have so much storage

it would be nice if we can keep the old cameras running

could change to all IP cameras but worried about the software running on the server, a lot of bad reviews coming up when I google

I am not familiar with computer based systems and the costs involved upgrading your existing system vs purchasing a new hybrid system but

A 32 channel hd-tvi or hd-cvi tribrid hvr sounds like it would be a good choice .you can still use your 12 old camera's and wiring and add 20 new camera's up to 1080p .you can swap out old cams with new 1080p camera's at "key" locations where detail and facial recognition are important and relocate old camera's to less important locations while reusing your existing wiring .

Cvi & tvi camera's are so cheap you may not want to reuse your old cams !

You get plenty of storage with up to 4 x6tb hd's on the hikvision and 8 x4tb on the dahua .plus external storage if needed .

Check out this hikvision hd-tvi tribridhvr

http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10662_i18376.html

The hikvision specs are not accurate or up to date when you view them under the products pages but if you go to the hikvision home page and download the spring catalog , those specs are more accurate and current.

Or this hd-cvi tribrid from dahua

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/en/us/pro_details.php?pid=1004

If you decide to go with an hd-tvi or hd-cvi hvr ,

Both will work with your old camera's but as far

as new camera's go , you will need to purchase

camera's to match the format of your new hvr .

So if you purchase the hd-tvi tribrid hvr , your new

camera's must also be hd-tvi camera's or compatible

Ip camera's.

Hd-cvi camera's are not compatible with hd-tvi dvr's .

And hd-tvi camera's are not compatible with hd-cvi dvr's.

I just checked the hikvision website to double check the

Specs and when you click on the spring 2016 catalog pdf

You get the 2015 fall/winter catalog .I don't know why they

put the last catalog back up there .

hi

thanks for the replies

looking around, it looks like hd-tvi is more popular than Hd-cvi ? so I figure I should go with hd-tvi, more cameras/systems available etc..

HIKVISION dvr looks good, but the best I can find is with 4 sata ports and 12b max (not sure if they don't like 4tb or larger drives, can't find any info)

even if 6tb drives are ok, that limits me to 24tb, which might be a bit tight with 20+ cameras recording 24/7 ?

I can run a few at lower quality, but most need to be decent quality (watching entrances, street, till etc. etc.)

any ideas ?

or know if they will record to a server etc.. ?

D1 resolution using H.264 at medium quality settings @20fps 24/7 (no motion activation)

12TB is around 55-60 days of recording.

+1 on the TVI (or other high-def analog formats..AHD, SDI, CVI, etc.)

They look really good and are a huge step up for the cameras that you add on (or replace). About 2 megapixel-ish, which looks great. True, IP cams go above that.

The big advantage of retrofitting with TVI (etc) is cost and time where you wouldn't have to redo all your cabling and simply reuse your existing coax cable.

The higher resolution does mean more storage space. And of course the cameras these days are all adjustable with so many settings to balance the data storage and image quality.

Whether you run a single 32-channel DVR, or run two 16-channel DVRs and use a CMS tool to manage everything on one view. And some people even run two DVRs and simply log into whichever one they need. It goes more toward the workflow of the company and what is more efficient for them.

As for which of the high-def analog formats, it'll be up to you.

To me, I always thought SDI gives a slightly prettier image (even though they're all 1080P-ish).

I've been focusing on TVI lately because it's easier to stock tools and inventory just for one. I do like that TVI is real flexible on cameras/DVR's from different brands without a hitch (that I've found). TVI is also an open standard (as is SDI and AHD) while CVI is proprietary to Dahua. Dahua is awesome, I just didn't want to hitch up to a single company.

And last, TVI has that 1600 foot cable run capability (as does AHD).

Is TVI the best? Probably depends on the situation more. But I do like it for:

* retrofits

* jobs where the cable runs are reallllly long

you guys are awesome, I've been googling my ass off but you've told me more in a few posts than I've learnt in a week of google! (probably is a lot of people talking about just 1 camera at home etc..)

do either of you have any experience with hikvision software ?

it looks like if I use hikvision iVMS-4200 I can connect to multiple sources/servers/storage etc.. systems all from one PC for remote view and playback ?

it also has separate server software and storage software etc..

if that works, I could get a hikvision tvi type dvr for the new cameras and a normal (cheap) type dvr for the old cameras

let those record to a storage server

add a couple of high quality IP cameras for important places

have normal remote view screens running where needed

and then be able to view / playback all cameras from one PC in office ?

Hikvisions remote access app is called ivms 4500.

It has worked flawlessly for me .it also gives you

Remote access to almost every setting .

I like dahua's equipment too and I like the remote

Viewing app gdmss better than hikvisions for not so

tech saavy customers .it's just a little easier to use

but it doesn't give you access to everything remotely .

Sometimes this is a good thing .i also like how easy

It is to view several different dvr's camera's at once

On the same screen with the dahua app .i would think

This is possible with ivms 4500 but I haven't tried yet .

You could use a ds7316hqhi for your new cams and a

Ds7216hghi for your existing cams.the ds7316hqhi is

More robust than the 7332 or the 7216 .

Hi. If storage is a problem I would go cvi. Hybrid. And go 32 way.

But you can also replan your factory and see if going IP can keep your camera limit to 16.

Going from D1 to MP can help to reduce the amount of cameras you need.

storage isn't really a problem, I have 14 TB already and can easily add a lot more

real sticking point is I want a system which will let me remotely play back recorded footage easily - hopefully of multiple cameras at the same time

current system lefts me do that, but the 16 camera limit will be too small soon

I'm still a little undecided, I've ordered a single IP camera and I'll try out the hikvision software and see how it is