RodeoJunky

Night Owl video loss and chirping

I have installed several night owl DVR systems at home, work and for a couple of elderly friends. I have seen issues during set up but this one I have not.

This particular one has been set up and running for almost a year. They are all outside cameras. Last week it lost camera #4 and then within the hour is lost all cameras after flickering several times. Then the DVR started chirping. So by the time I got there it had already been unplugged for several days. So when I plugged it back in all worked except #4. So now I have unplugged the #4 and let it go for a few days thinking that #4 is bad and causing feedback as I have seen this before.

But now every night around 8 pm she says that it flickers and keeps chirping until after she goes to bed. So today I traced down the wires and found that the #4 camera wire was extremely hot. So now I unplugged it from the DVR. I turned it back on and it chirped several times then stopped chirping. 3 cameras still working. She is going to let me know if it does it again tonight.

So here is my questions.

I am assuming that if it does flicker and chirp then the DVR itself is going bad?

But if it does not then I think that the wire feed is faulty?

Any ideas from you smarter than me people when it comes to this stuff.

good day

it sounds like your power-supply for your cameras is faulty, what power supply you got and for how many cameras? there is also a possibility of a short on your cam #4, perhaps polarity is incorrect (your positive and negative) , your cameras flicking and going off around 8 is probably when the IR lights come on IR uses more amps thus the reason they go off at that time,so your psu is giving 12v but perhaps not enough amps, the dvr must have a alarm out function under the video loss event that's why it alarms ( chirps ),

Try just connecting #4 and see if it comes on , check polarity and try another PSU with same or higher amp rating

Regards