Sign in to follow this  
RickSk

Hikvision and iVMS lag issue

Good day,

I work at a company that has over 50 analog cameras installed all over its facilities. These cameras are connected to 4 Hikvision 7216 HWI-SH and 1 7208 HWI-SH DVRs. I use the iVMS-4200 client to visualize all the cameras on my computer. The iVMS seems a bit clunky and cumbersome and sometimes it takes ages to click on one particular camera, but the software did its job to show every camera on real time decently.

Last week however, I replaced one of the DVRs for a 7208 HGHI-SH to try out the new Turbo HD cameras and then installed two 720p cameras. What happens now is that the iVMS-4200 (with the same number of cameras as before) lags its live feed horribly. The images are shown in slow motion, I cannot see them in real time.

It would seem the problem here is the additional load on my computer courtesy of the new DVR. My question is if it is possible to reduce this load so as to be able to watch live feed again.

The addition of two 720P highly likely over-loaded the CPU.

You may Reduce the number of frames for recording the 720P, or use sub-streams for live view.

make sure you have the latest version installed 2.5.3 I think it is. Also make sure you have real time option chosen in the options, you might also be dragging the 2nd stream at a lower FPS. in the top right corner of the software you can see your cpu load

Thank you for your answers.

The addition of two 720P highly likely over-loaded the CPU.

You may Reduce the number of frames for recording the 720P, or use sub-streams for live view.

I do have the latest version of iVMS. It seems the CPU load on my computer is between 30% and 60% most of the times. But the software seems unbearably slow the entire time.

Where exactly is the real time option? I can't seem to find it.

Make sure you choose the option to auto switch between sub-stream and mainstream. That way when you are seeing many feeds at the same time you will be using the substream, when you double click to make a stream full screen it will switch to the main stream.

You have a bottleneck somewhere, probably CPU or network. Nothing that can not be solved by doing the right configuration.