clayrogers

Spy Camera For Small Room

Having trouble with theft of items out of a small room that is about 4 feet wide by 5 feet deep. I'm wondering what kind of spy camera we can use in this type of room. I am thinking something overhead, maybe something that looks like a smoke detector.

Owner wants to catch the thief. After that, other actions will be taken to secure the items.

Is there a self contained camera that would work for this? The ceiling above is drywall so running cabling to the area won't be easy.

The problem I suppose would be that checking the video would have to be done by taking down the unit. So, we would probably have to wait until the next theft and then go through the videos to see what happened.

Thanks for the ideas!

Hi. For over 3 years when someone has posted a situation like yours I always recommend axis there is nothing else that can beat it.

Built in storage to SD card or access from network .... Also the boss can watch via app from anywere

The AXIS P1214 Network Camera

Hi. For over 3 years when someone has posted a situation like yours I always recommend axis there is nothing else that can beat it.

Built in storage to SD card or access from network .... Also the boss can watch via app from anywere

The AXIS P1214 Network Camera

Thanks for the input. I guess one concern I have with going this route is that it would have to be mounted behind a wall. This location doesn't have many good options for that. The one wall that could work I'm not sure would provide the best angle. I think something overhead would allow for seeing the person as well as what they are doing.

This is a drywall ceiling and I really don't think there is any way to get above it.

So, that is why I really thought something self contained would be the best option. Doesn't that Axis need POE?

Hi. Yes the camera is Poe .... It plugs direct into its recorder

It is for wall or overhead or hide in something

You only need a hole this big .. .

OK, thanks. I will be going there tomorrow to verify exactly what kind of access we have to that one wall or the ceiling.

Do you have a recommendation on something self contained if that doesn't work? I see those smoke detector looking models out there but it's hard to tell what is decent and what is junk.

Hi. It is self contained. If you want covert then smoke detector camera might not be any good the space you are talking about anything new in the room will be noticed

Cheap self contained covert from China like smoke detectors or alarm PIR sensors are bad quality

uRgwPKyPcMk

I know what you are saying about something new in the room being noticed. I was thinking that between the fact that the camera would look like a smoke detector, not a camera and that it would be ceiling mounted that it wouldn't be too obvious.

By self contained I mean don't need access to the opposite side of the ceiling/wall for it to work. Like I said, if I'm remembering things right only one of the walls will even be a possibility. This room is kind of built into an alcove so 3 of the 4 sides are in a walkway. Doesn't leave many options.

Anything fitting my definition of self contained that you have seen that you think would work well for this?

I stopped by and took a look. I can make the Axis P1214 work. It's a drop ceiling above and there is a data cable nearby that I can use for POE.

What do I need to be able to record the video that it captures? I do have a hikvision NVR already in place at this location if that helps. Or, I would probably prefer if Axis has a standalone NVR program to just load it on my computer there.

Thanks again for the help.

I stopped by and took a look. I can make the Axis P1214 work. It's a drop ceiling above and there is a data cable nearby that I can use for POE.

What do I need to be able to record the video that it captures? I do have a hikvision NVR already in place at this location if that helps. Or, I would probably prefer if Axis has a standalone NVR program to just load it on my computer there.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi did you watch the video

You need nothing else small camera 1ch recorder all cables and fittings ...... Recorder takes SD card .

The bonus is you have a network cable there as well allowing you to watch the room from anywere on PC or smartphone

I did watch the video. I am hoping that I don't have to retrieve the card every time I want to watch the video. I have a network cable available that I can tie into our Network easily enough so I am wondering what my options are for recording the video elsewhere so that I can watch it easily.

I did watch the video. I am hoping that I don't have to retrieve the card every time I want to watch the video. I have a network cable available that I can tie into our Network easily enough so I am wondering what my options are for recording the video elsewhere so that I can watch it easily.

Hi you don't need to retrieve the SD card it is part of the recording storage .

All you need to do in plug your network cable into port 8

If your network cable is also Poe then that will also power the unit but if your cable is not Poe you still connect to port 8 but also power the unit via connection marked 10. That way it's on your network

If you just power via plug 10 the system is a complete standalone

image.thumb.jpeg.0188ad9526df83703614d4eda7b5e43d.jpeg

Thank you! That definitely helps.

Are there any specific variants of that camera I should look for? I want to have sort of a look over their shoulder view to see what they are taking off of this board that mounts on a wall opposite of the door where you walk in. Then, the plan is that as they turn around we would get a good look of their face to get that documented.

The tricky thing with this application is that people go into this room throughout the day for valid reasons and take items off of the board. The person who is stealing items off of this board probably also has valid reasons to be taking things off of the board. So, we need to track who took an item off of row B6 for example and then be able to determine it wasn't returned by the end of the day.

My next concern is having a good enough camera/view to see what hook they are taking something off of which which would be a fairly close up view and be able to still see their face when they turn around.

So, the camera would need to be at an angle from behind the person for that to work, not straight down from above.

Any thoughts on making that work?