HeadsUp

distance between CAT5 and 240 VAC cables ?

Can someone confirm the correct minimum spacing between CAT5e and 240 volts AC cable ?

My clients electrician claims they can run together without interference ....

I have to run 40 meters ( 131 feet ) and it will run parallel with 240 VAC over that whole distance.

The CAT5 will be carrying 2 analogue cameras over 2 twisted pair with 24 Volts AC on two pair using 24 AWG

The cameras are 250 watt ( No IR ) , my calculator gives 3 v voltage drop ?

What separation between cables ?

ps , if i use CAT 7 instead of CAT5, how much difference will that make to spacing with its claimed improved shielding ?

Ask the electrician to give you the reference in the national electric code for that one. If running in raceway with high voltage you have to have a physical barrier. You may not get interference but if you get a short you could end up with high voltage on your low voltage wire either wiping out the equipment and or the operator. I do not have the code in front of me but I think you need one foot of open air clearance between low and high voltage wires. the cat 7 is probably 23 gauge so you might get some more load carrying ability.

Ask the electrician to give you the reference in the national electric code for that one. If running in raceway with high voltage you have to have a physical barrier. You may not get interference but if you get a short you could end up with high voltage on your low voltage wire either wiping out the equipment and or the operator. I do not have the code in front of me but I think you need one foot of open air clearance between low and high voltage wires. the cat 7 is probably 23 gauge so you might get some more load carrying ability.

Both cables would be in their own PVC conduit , they are outside exposed to risk of lightning and salty ocean air so I don't want to use steel conduit.

When you say "high voltage" you are referring to the 240 volt AC ?

High voltage usually refers to 50,000 volts

Sorry pardon my typo , I meant 5000 volts being HV

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure if you are worried about the electrical safety aspect or the potential for induced interference. The country you are in would have some bearing on the answer as well. In Australia if each cable is in their own conduit than as far as electrical safety compliance goes they can be side by side. For noise immunity I would have them as far apart as possible. EMI is a fairly inexact science.

I'm not sure if you are worried about the electrical safety aspect or the potential for induced interference. The country you are in would have some bearing on the answer as well. In Australia if each cable is in their own conduit than as far as electrical safety compliance goes they can be side by side. For noise immunity I would have them as far apart as possible. EMI is a fairly inexact science.

EMI is the issue I want to avoid , but the customer wants a tidy conduit bundle for aesthetics.

Will do more enquiries on cat 7 specs but otherwise it's going 10-12 inches away from the mains cabling.

When you say "high voltage" you are referring to the 240 volt AC ?

High voltage usually refers to 50,000 volts

Sorry pardon my typo , I meant 5000 volts being HV

Not when dealing with electrical codes. For many code purposes, anything higher than 30 volts between conductors is considered to be "high".