Sign in to follow this  
drprm1

DVR slows my internet!

Few months ago my internet speeds suddenly diminished from 25mbps to a sluggish 3-5mbps. ATT tech came out and said he was getting 25mbps at the house connection...I have a fairly large wired lan with a few wireless access points and ethernet switches so it took me some time to isolate the issue...I even bought all new network switches. It came down to my CCTV DVR. I could watch the speed drop off and come back to speed as I plugged in or removed the ethernet connection.

I had four cameras hardwired to the DVR..Don't remember the brand of DVR but it worked well for a few years. I bought another DVR, installed, set it up, and worked well for a few months until recently the same thing started happening with this DVR! Same deal with slow speed for the whole network when plugged in....

Amcrest HDCVI DVR with 4 cameras

Static IP set for DVR.

Login and password changed

ATT uverse internet with Pace gateway

Wifi turned off at gateway and broadcast through Ubiquiti access points

Amcrest "support" was useless.

Thanks for any help!

Few months ago my internet speeds suddenly diminished from 25mbps to a sluggish 3-5mbps. ATT tech came out and said he was getting 25mbps at the house connection...I have a fairly large wired lan with a few wireless access points and ethernet switches so it took me some time to isolate the issue...I even bought all new network switches. It came down to my CCTV DVR. I could watch the speed drop off and come back to speed as I plugged in or removed the ethernet connection.

I had four cameras hardwired to the DVR..Don't remember the brand of DVR but it worked well for a few years. I bought another DVR, installed, set it up, and worked well for a few months until recently the same thing started happening with this DVR! Same deal with slow speed for the whole network when plugged in....

Static IP set for DVR.

Thanks for any help!

Does that DVR support any type of cloud storage? Otherwise, as another person said, maybe it's on a botnet.

Static IP set for DVR.

Thanks for any help!

perhaps the dvr system should be on it's own lan. the camera traffic is slowing down your routers?

Static IP set for DVR.

Thanks for any help!

perhaps the dvr system should be on it's own lan. the camera traffic is slowing down your routers?

Camera traffic normally shouldn't be going through the router, except for maybe the built in switch in a router.