rqdasilva

DOME camera with a AC/DC dual model

Hi All,

I am a newbie in CCTV technology, and I am trying to install a system for a client. After a lot of research, I purchased a GEOVISION 800 8/Cams DVR card and 7 Cameras from CCTV SPECIALTY. Two of the dome cameras I purchased, came with an AC/DC Dual model power output here is the link for the cameral model [edit by mod - non retail link removed]

The problem is with the cable that came with it. It has a DC connector. CCTV SPECIALTY was of no help. I went and bought a DC pigtail. The question is where do I connect the pigtail to? There are two wires in the cameras one red and one black. Which one is the hot wire?

Any help will be fully appreciated.

Thanks

Roberto

The hot wire sould have a white stripe or white broken line on the side. That wire goes to the red.

Thanks Wachhund. I will follow your instructions.

or you can cut the wire and splice them together .. black from the camera side to braided side on the cable, red on the camera side to the wire with the jacket on the cable side.

I would use 24VAC over 12VDC though, and in that case, polcarity does not matter.

or you can cut the wire and splice them together .. black from the camera side to braided side on the cable, red on the camera side to the wire with the jacket on the cable side.

I would use 24VAC over 12VDC though, and in that case, polcarity does not matter.

Thanks Rory. But I want to keep things simple and use the RCA/power Plug and Play cables that came with it. Pardon me the ignorance but why would I want 24VAC instead 12DC? And is there a quality difference between RCA and BNC? Just curious.

Thanks.

Roberto

24vac allows for longer wire runs with less of a drop in voltage to the camera. You also don't have to worry about the polarity problem. If there are infrared leds in the camera, you would also want the 24vac for the extra power needed. 24v is also the standard used by installers for the most part.

24vac allows for longer wire runs with less of a drop in voltage to the camera. You also don't have to worry about the polarity problem. If there are infrared leds in the camera, you would also want the 24vac for the extra power needed. 24v is also the standard used by installers for the most part.

Understood. I'll apply that in my next install. Thanks

no there is no quality difference between rca and bnc. RCA is used mostly for DIY. BNC are widely used by professional installers. It is my assumption that bnc's are the standerd for two reasons

1. the connector locks on to the female bnc adapter.

2. once locked center conductor slides into the female adapter keeping the center conductor from exposure to oxygen which overtime keeps corrusion down significantly.