Sign in to follow this  
NickGreen12

[HELP] Need to identify DVR make/model using just picture

I'm a Private Investigator in need of identifying the manufacturer and model of the DVR surveillance system shown using the picture, knowing the system supported 16 cameras, was directly connected to a PC monitor on an LCD screen. The case I'm working on is a cold case murder from 2009 with it being highly likely the system could have been outdated even then. It's important for evidence involved in the case in order to fight it being submitted in court after an inadequate extraction/video recovery attempt by police "Forensic Investigator" resulted in the an inability to recover footage as preserved within system. I researched how DVR's have come along since the 2009-ish time period and have seen information stating manufacture's had special CODEC's that were unique to the manufacturer and after causing user frustration in scenarios such as mine the manufacturer's then came together to have standard generic CODEC's to keep everyone happy. This is similar to what the "Forensic Investigator" experienced for several days after being unable to identify the make/model.

Anything would be a great help. Even info about top 3 manufacturer's in mid-late 2000's would be a great start. Thanks!

1169238940_UnknownDVRmanufacturer.JPG.12e646f68fa38d71114b850510d58ac6.JPG

To recover the evidence, why don't you connect a stand alone DVD recorder or even a VCR using AUX/Line1/RCA video ports, in the back of the DVR there should be a BNC port labeled VIDEO OUT you will need a BNC to RCA adapter and then a regular RCA cable. Be sure to play each footage in full screen as you are recording on either DVD or VHS.

Note: if this is a CIF DVR or the recordings are done in CIF then using the VCR method won't degrade the video quality as CIF is VCR's resolution, be sure to always use SP or Standard Play recording mode for best picture quality.

If the recordings are in D1 quality obviously you would want to use the standalone DVD recorder in SP mode since DVD is D1 quality you will be preserving D1. Again playback the videos in full screen while you are recording.

If for some reasons that DVR doesn't have a VIDEO OUT port, but only a VGA port, then you will need a VGA to RCA scan line converter before you are able to output to either DVD or VCR.

Alternatively you can bypass both the need of a DVD and VCR recorders and go completely digital (well in a sense DVD is digital), and use a computer with a VIDEO capture card with capture video resolutions correctly set, 640x480 or 704x480 the latter is DVD/D1 quality and if your video capture software only has 640x480 which is VGA quality it's would be acceptable too. Let me warn you going the video capture route requires some what technical abilities, you will have to carefully read your video capture's manual and possibly perform a few YouTube how to searches before you can master the ropes.

If you are unable to learn how to use a VIDEO capture card then use a standalone DVD recorder, buy a spindle of 50 to 100 DVD-R discs and record straight to DVD as you playback from DVR in full screen.

Good luck with your evidence extraction.