4runner

New Geovision DVR install need alittle or alot of advise!!!

Hello to everyone. This is a great site and alot of useful info. I just built a Geovison DVR system for a client and there have been a few issues. First off I will spec out what I have built so far and go from there.

1) Intel D945GTPL 800FSB Mother board

2) Intel P4 3.0GHZ 630 Prescott LGA 775 800FSB EMT64

3) Crucial Technology Ballistix 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667

4) Seagate Barracuda's 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

5)Pioneer Black 16X DVD+R 2M Cache ATAPI 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Read

6)Leadtek WinFast PX6800 TDH Geforce 6800 256MB DDR PCI Express x16

7)Acer AL1916Ab Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 0.294mm Pixel Pitch

Antec PERFORMANCE TX640B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply

9) APC BE-785R ups

Geovision GV-600-16 d-sub card version 8.0 software

24VAC power distribution box 16 port output

Camera's purchased from

CCTV specialty [edit: link removed by mod]

7u of the Color Day/Night Security Camera - Sony 1/3" Ex-view CCD 500 TVL - .01 Lux, Auto Iris Varifocal 3.5-8mm Lens and Power Supply Included (SPE-45SH35)

1 of the Panasonic WV-CP484 camera and the matching 1/3" varifocal lense 3.8-8mm

Just purchased a upgrade to a Geovison GV-1480-16 card because of framerate and picture quality issues. I don't have this card installed yet.

Now for the advise.

1) The picture on all of the camera's is pixelized and very bloomy in color. I purchased the Panasonic 484 to see if it was a camera issue and I really believe it is now video card and wiring issue. I think the RG59 siamesed cable they sold me was junk. Also I used twist on BNC connectors and they really don't look to be a good idea. I had the notorious bent Z on some of the Copper conductor. I use nothing but crimp on stuff for LMR-tpe cable and these Twist ons are questionable also I don't think they were true 75ohm connectors. I am running this at 1280x1024 on the LCD panel.

Siamese type configuration with separation web RG-59 Type Coax plus One Pair 18 AWG stranded (Coax) solid bare copper conductor 20 AWG Gas injected polyethylene coaxial core Nom. OD .142 inch (3.61 mm) with an aluminum polyester tape barrier. Bare copper braid shield 95% coverage Unshielded 18 AWG twisted pair employing PVC insulation Nom. O.D. .007 inch (.178 mm).

2) Are there any other settings in the Geovision setup that will allow for better picture setup and clarity. I have tried everything. Direct draw, interlaced and non interlaced, low and high resolution adjusting the camera settings manually, contrast, hue, brightness. No luck.

3) The new GV-1480-16 card has a DSP output to a CRT monitor and since I have never used a DSP output before, what is the picture going to look like when that is installed I am hoping for a fluid and more realistic image that can be viewed on the CRT.

4) How much of a difference do the lenses make. I have just the el cheap-o Varifocals that came with the cctcspecialty camera's. Do the fujinon lenses make that big of a diffence on a 1/3" cctv camera.

I just want to get the client happy and be better educated when I do my next system for another client. Any suggestions will be appeciated. I just did screen shots but the pictures here look worse than what the actually are but not by much.

sample3.thumb.jpg.9a75b4869871400542aff88f93730482.jpg

sample2.thumb.jpg.9ca7e9f9f182a94e31f3ef06b1cc9491.jpg

sample1.thumb.jpg.7f37fd5c5fc820a6c694a2ff3a273a2c.jpg

Edited by Guest

Im not fimiliar with the GEO card yet, however, the way the pic's show to me, it looks like you have a video card driver problem.

When you stop the program, and look directly at the desktop, are the colors nice crisp and clear? or do the look washed out like the squares that dont have camera's on yet?

If that were in my shop, the first thing I would be concentrating on is definatly the video. Goto Leadtek's web site, downlod the latest video drivers, update the drivers, (does the GEO card use directx?) if it does, download the latest version of that as well.

Once youve updated the drivers, go into the video control section of the operating system, and make sure that the color quality is set to its highest setting.

Im not fimiliar with the GEO card yet, however, the way the pic's show to me, it looks like you have a video card driver problem.

When you stop the program, and look directly at the desktop, are the colors nice crisp and clear? or do the look washed out like the squares that dont have camera's on yet?

If that were in my shop, the first thing I would be concentrating on is definatly the video. Goto Leadtek's web site, downlod the latest video drivers, update the drivers, (does the GEO card use directx?) if it does, download the latest version of that as well.

Once youve updated the drivers, go into the video control section of the operating system, and make sure that the color quality is set to its highest setting.

These pictures are are not as good as the originals. I had a limitation of 256k on this forum for attachment uploads per attachment. They are the latest drivers from nvidia's website. So not a driver issue but will be trying a radeon card this week as a comparison, apples to apples type deal.

Is Overlay Enabled on the Geo software?

Also, this doesnt look like version 8.0 software, unless you manually set the theme back to the old one...

Twist on Connectors will give you the same quality. So thats not the issue, if anything if they werent put on correctly you may get a ground issue, same with crimp ons.

If its RG59 Siamese then that should not be an issue also. Some of the cheaper cable though can bend and snap easily. but that will show other problems not video quality.

If you install and setup Ultra VNC i can log onto the DVR and make sure the Geo software is setup properly.

Also, use ViewLog and save some images as a Bitmap, post them here or email them to me. That will be easier to work with than the images above.

Rory

i like the fujinon varifocal day/night aspherical lens. Those make a difference especially for low light conditions and illuminators

Is Overlay Enabled on the Geo software?

Also, this doesnt look like version 8.0 software, unless you manually set the theme back to the old one...

Twist on Connectors will give you the same quality. So thats not the issue, if anything if they werent put on correctly you may get a ground issue, same with crimp ons.

If its RG59 Siamese then that should not be an issue also. Some of the cheaper cable though can bend and snap easily. but that will show other problems not video quality.

If you install and setup Ultra VNC i can log onto the DVR and make sure the Geo software is setup properly.

Also, use ViewLog and save some images as a Bitmap, post them here or email them to me. That will be easier to work with than the images above.

Rory

Rory,

I will install the VNC and PM you the IP address and password. I did switch the theme back to the old style just didn't put it back yet. I have the Direct draw enabled, I will have to check on the overlay. Rory camera number 1 is one of those new Pano 484's and it looks terrible. so I really got something going on here.

i dont know much about the geo problems but if you are wanting blc on any of the cameras I would switch the pano 484 to the outside. Because inside although the pano 484 look good the outdoor camera shots look alot more demanding.

Well I installed the Pano-484 outside and it definitely made a huge difference and I also replaced all the lenses with Fujinon Varifocal Day night aspherical lenses, the last two changes were the ATI Radeon 1800GTO PCI-x card and a geovision GV1480-16 card. These changes really made the difference and I also purchased a 4.5 Inch Marshall Portable LCD panel to fine tune the focus on the camera's. I will post the new pictures. I cant' say enough about the panasonic's though. It was on the west parking lot shooting into the daylight and the difference was night and day. Nothing was whited or faded out. The picture at night even with a strong light behind the camera did not phase these camera's. It even shows the colors better than these other cheap camera's purchased a

CCTVspecialty.com. I learned my lesson and you can't skimp on quality when it comes to PC based DVR systems.

Now I am ordering 3 more Pano-484's and putting them out side also.

Like I said can't stress that the Nvidia card I used in this system prior was a geforce3 6800 ultra 256mb card 500mhz core clock and ddr memory and the ATI 1800GTO card blew it away in video reproduction and quality.

I will be posting pictures tomorrow.

Edited by Guest

Glad you finally got it working good for ya...

For some reason, it seems that almost all DVR cards really prefer and need ATI cards. Maybe its cause only ATI supplied cards when they were making the dvr card? who knows....

Anyways, would like to see the new pics ya go going, and congrats on a getting your problem fixed.

ya those panasonic 484 are excellent. You really are able to see how much of a picture you are missing without WDR. Those have become the number 1 seller for us. Even though they are one of the most expensive fixed cameras that we sell. People will pay for that type of quality.

i gotta get one ... they ordered a couple, the dome and the box cam.. they on the way. . as well as the sanyo pan focus ...

oh yeah also the Ganz 6000 series color indoor dome .. gonna test that one out too ..

ill tell you the auto back focus is really pretty neat to watch. To watch the switch from day to night and then watch it auto back focus never gets old. But then again I am a geek and get a thrill out of things like that.

believe it or not I had a dream last night that I was a toshiba ip camera. I need a vacation

Sorry guys, I just have to get them uploaded from the pc. Will post the pictures thought buy tomorrow.