Automated Surveillance

G-view Remote viewing on Motorola Q

Does anyone know if the new device The Motorola Q on the Verizon Wireless Broadband network supports live video? I tried to install the PDA application PDA Viewer for Win CE. That did not work. The Motorola Q uses the Windows mobile 5 OS. Could this be the issue? If you have any suggestions as for the best PDA Device on a wireless broadband network so that I can watch my Geovision system I am open to suggestions. I want moving video. Any help from any of you geniuses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance

The PDA application GView is compatible with Windows Mobile 5. What problems are you experiencing. Have you ticked the "Create JPEG" box under WebCam Server Setup?

[Yes it's all set up correctly. The error message I get when trying to install the G-View App on the Motorola Q is: "Installation of GView_e_7100.cab was unsuccessful. The Installation file is not intended for this deviceâ€

I read your article today and I had to double check that I could use the application on my mobile phone, the Verizon XV6700 Pocket PC phone with Windows Mobile 5. While I do not have broadband support through Verizon other than local WIFI, I was able to install the application on my phone and view their demo cameras through the WIFI. I am about to purchase the Geovision system (1480 card) and I had installed the app successfully in the past. Since then, I got a new phone and had to double check my work.

The name of the file I downloaded and installed was PDAviewen7050.zip. This file may or may not be on Geovision's site anymore.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Hi,

I have the Treo 700w with Verizon & the high speed Evdo connection. Gview works great on it. I think the Q is a smartphone OS, not the WM5 OS which is why it wont work.

The 6700 should also work fine with it (but that doesnt help you). The 240x240 treo screen cuts off a bit of the bottom options (screen capture ptz) but i dont need them for my usage.

gview was written for WM 2003 (I forget the actual name), not for wm5 but it is compatible with wm5.

It is really a great sales tool to wip out your cell phone, say look at this, they see a picture & then moving video. Its great!

Thanks,

Rich

hi, The Motorola Q is the Windows Mobile 5.0 for smartphone, so you need to install the GeoVision MSView (Just use the Activesync to copy the "MSView.exe file to your cellular folder")

I made a list for your reference (What AP you should use)

GView: (Support PTZ control)

Device: PDA or PDA phone

Platform: Windows Mobile 2002

Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC (or SE)

Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC with Phone edition

Windows Mobile 5.0 based on Pocket PC

Note: The Main Display size must be "240 x 320 pixel" or the part of User interface will be covered.

MSView:

Device: Smartphone

Platform: Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphone

Windows Mobile 5.0 based on Smartphone

SSView:

Device: Smartphone

Platform: Symbian OS 7.0 or later version

I have the gview file itself (the executable) on my treo. Since I have done a few hard resets, I have that file on my storage card so I can access my camera system from home. There is no other file that needs to be installed to make it all work.

if you want me to email the file straight from my treo, that might work for you.

Just let me know.

I just got GView.exe to work on the new Treo 700 from Verizon. However, I'm having a problem with the select box that let's you switch cameras. The select box does not show the names of the cameras (ie. Camera1, Camera2, ... Camera16). I can still switch cameras by clicking on the white space in the select box. Is there a way to at least show the camera numbers so that you can switch from, say, Camera1 to Camera 13 without guessing which camera to click on in the select box?

Thanks!

When you select the box that lets you change cameras, it doesnt have the "name" of the camera? Living room camera = Camera1 & it only says Camera 1? Is that the problem?

My screen has the image & at the bottom of the 240x240 treo screen, it has a place where you can click on it & then select up or down & the camera names are there.

Can you post a screenshot?

Check out treocentral.com & the discussion boards (not Geovision related).

There is no text at all in the select box. But, you can still make selections. You just can't see what camera you're selecting.

Yep, exactly 16 blank entries. I can change cameras by selecting the appropriate empty box. For example, when the program first comes up, I can see camera 1. If I click on the select box and press the down arrow, say 5 times, and click the empty box...I see camera 6 (1+5=6).

Where is this list getting populated from? I have all ports open, so it shouldn't be a firewall issue. Is there a setting for this on the server?

As an aside, I just loaded MSView.exe onto the Treo 700. Got it working, but how do you switch cameras? There is no option to switch cameras in the menu. So, I'm watching camera 1.

I also have a Treo 650 running PalmOS that I'd like to see if I can get working. Has anyone tried this?

BTW, MSView.exe locks up the phone after some time (maybe 5-10 minutes). I have to remove the battery and replace it to reboot the phone.

Yep, exactly 16 blank entries. I can change cameras by selecting the appropriate empty box. For example, when the program first comes up, I can see camera 1. If I click on the select box and press the down arrow, say 5 times, and click the empty box...I see camera 6 (1+5=6).

Where is this list getting populated from? I have all ports open, so it shouldn't be a firewall issue. Is there a setting for this on the server?

As an aside, I just loaded MSView.exe onto the Treo 700. Got it working, but how do you switch cameras? There is no option to switch cameras in the menu. So, I'm watching camera 1.

I also have a Treo 650 running PalmOS that I'd like to see if I can get working. Has anyone tried this?

The list gets populated from the PC itself. I would suggest trying to use port 443 (AOL IM port) since its never blocked by ISP's (at least that I know of).

Do you get view from the cameras itself when you get to the correct camera?

Thanks for the reply...

Again, all ports are open at the moment, so it should not be a firewall problem.

Yes, I'm able to switch cameras (and see it) when selecting items in the drop down box. The problem is the drop down box items are blank.

In the configuration, I've verified that each camera has a name associated with it (ie. Camera 1, Camera 2, Camera 3...). One would think that the drop down box would be populated with this text, but it's not.

Maybe there's a new version of GView, I'll go check right now.

Also, the screen size of the Treo 700 is too short, meaning I see everything from the top of the screen to just below the drop-down box. The images in the manual show a "snapshot" button, and a PTZ control tab, neither of which I can see on the Treo 700. Is there a fix for this? (Screen scaling or adjustable resolution?)

I am not sure why, but when I log in using my Treo, I can see the top of the drop down box, & when I click on it, the names of the cameras are there (camera 1, camera 2, etc), when I scroll up & down, I can see the different camera names.

My phone does populate it with text. I am not sure why yours doesnt do the same thing.

I am not sure why yours does not do that.

It looks to me like Geovision gave up on the Windows Mobile OS, they only have a symbian OS application (did you see a wm5 one?)

About your last question - the screen getting cut off, I have the same problem. This is the answer:

http://www.nyditot.com/Home.asp

However, its not a great answer, when you change the screen size the text doesnt look great (it is readable). Making a 240x240 screen into a 320x screen just doesnt work right.

Give it a shot (make sure to install it into main memory & do a backup before so you can restore your old settings using the Free Sprite backup).

That will let you see the whole thing but...

You will see.