ChuckP

Peephole Camera - Apartment Install

Hey guys,

I have done quite a few camera installs but they have all been hard wired with easy access to ceiling panels. I would like to install a peephole camera in my front door, however I am having trouble grasping how to install these.

I understand you replace the peephole but how do you get electricity to the camera and transmitter? I researched wireless camera placement and found a lot of info, however it didn't explain how to get power to the transmitter/camera without using battery packs that must be replaced very frequently.

Any recommendations? I have to use wireless as wired is not an option where I am.

You have to use wires or a battery to provide power. Wireless transmission of power can happen but it doesn't work very well and is extremely lossy. And it's pure line of sight via microwave. So for your install you need batteries or wiring for the power.

You have to use wires or a battery to provide power. Wireless transmission of power can happen but it doesn't work very well and is extremely lossy. And it's pure line of sight via microwave. So for your install you need batteries or wiring for the power.

Thomas,

Do you know how you would be able to wire power on a door? Do they have contact power systems where you could run the wire up the top of the door to a contact then the wire at the frame of the door to a plug?

ive always wondered how they expect them to be installed ..

http://www.specotech.com/cart/products/productDetails.asp?prodID=531

http://www.imagewonders.com/images/Diagram_Camera.gif

this link is real funny too ..

http://aggregate.org/DIT/peepfish/

maybe someone else has installed one before .?

I imagine it will take the tools of a locksmith ..??

Wow.. even Rory doesn't know about these cameras.. now I don't feel so bad. It doesn't look like you would need a locksmith for the install of the camera, but I don't know how they expect us to wire these... I am thinking I might be able to bring it to the door corner with some extra slack. Then run the cable down the trim to the floor and over and back up to a plug. That would take care of power for the transmitter and camera. I think I will attempt this.. wish me luck hahaha.

I will post pictures on final install but it won't be for another month.

You could try a contact but given it's location you're not talking about a long life span.

Yep never used them, and only OEMs sell them .. but please let us know how you get on with it .. ive looked for manuals but they dont seem to exist

I imagine a plunger cord of some sought, like used with alarms on doors ...

i only mentioned locksmith as they typically have the tools for the door that us techs dont have

The bulky BNC cables i saw though in that one diagram doesnt look promising ... Perhaps ill email one of the asian manufacturers and see what they expect us to do

Rory

The best way would be to come into via the side of the door (Less pulling on the cable) but that would be a *** to do in an apartment.

Haven't done this for a camera, but have used the following two products for electric locks and alarms.

45534_1.jpg

This is a power transfer hing typically used for electric locks (see wire loops on image)....they run about $200 but require taking the door apart....chiselling out the hinges to make them fit.....as well, passing the wire from the hinge side to the door camera position can be tricky...easier for hollow core doors.

Another method which is cheaper is installing a door cord similiar to the following. Price approx. $10.....yeah, I thought you'd like the price

Amseco-ADC412.jpg

In both cases, these units have 4 stranded wires....two for power....two for video.....You could use an unshielded twisted pair module for the video.

As hinges are metal, could you not just use the hinge itself to pass the signal?

One hinge for ground, another for +V?

You would still need to get the power cables down the door frame to the hinges, and then from the hinge on the door to the camera though, which could be tricky, unless your handy at diy

(assuming low voltage 12v dc camera, obviously dont do this with a higher voltage camera in case someone touches the hinges)

Passing the video through the hinge would be putting it in contact with a large metal object that makes a great anntena. Your interfearance problem would be huge.

I put bullets in the wall right next to the door just to alleviate all these issues.

Then just install a wreath or whatever the customer wants as a disguise.

As was mentioned though, they have spring loaded automotive door jam contacts that would do the job no problem. I would remove the door and drill it from top center down to the peephole.

http://www.ebyelectro.com/precidip/pp_pages/pp_springloaded.asp