CollinR

D#%!! newfangled DSL modems!!!

Whats the deal with these new all in one DSL modems it seems everyone is getting?

I hated PPOE before but now with these 2 wire single port routers it's pissing me off having to learn about some BS product I will never buy and SWB / AT&T doesn't consistently supply the same units.

Has somebody here figured these things out well?

Cable is great as long as the area you live in isn't densely populated. Cable connections are wired as loops. As someone uses bandwith there is less bandwith on the loop for others. Four kids filesharing will lower everyone's speed on the loop.

Heck, I cant even get a dial tone, internet works (just 160kbs, on a supposed 8000kbs service) and they have supposedly fixed the fault "to my satisfaction" even though they never asked if it was working.......

well what is your problem? I've setup many of these dsl modems from AT&T/BELLSOUTH.

Kensplace - your using the supplied adapters that came with your dsl modem so that you can use your phone at the same time right?

well what is your problem? I've setup many of these dsl modems from AT&T/BELLSOUTH.

Getting them bridged correctly, I have probably seen 10 different models in the last 2 months. If cable tried that crap I could just swap in a Linksys and spoof the MAC but PPOE doesn't work that way.

Cable is great as long as the area you live in isn't densely populated. Cable connections are wired as loops. As someone uses bandwith there is less bandwith on the loop for others. Four kids filesharing will lower everyone's speed on the loop.

FUD. DSL all has to run through a single point eventually as well; everyone on your segment of the network is limited to the bandwidth of that point.

The differance is a star vs loop topology. While both systems will have a choke point at someplace, the differance is that cable's choke point is at a neighborhood level rather then the ISP level. So yes, heavy traffic in a neigbhood can cause cable speeds and latency to drop. The capacity of a single neighboorhood loop is much lower then that of most COs.

The differance is a star vs loop topology. While both systems will have a choke point at someplace, the differance is that cable's choke point is at a neighborhood level rather then the ISP level. So yes, heavy traffic in a neigbhood can cause cable speeds and latency to drop. The capacity of a single neighboorhood loop is much lower then that of most COs.

Yeah, there's theoretical differences... that aren't going to even be noticable to 99% of users, let alone significant enough for most to care about.

Getting them bridged correctly, I have probably seen 10 different models in the last 2 months. If cable tried that crap I could just swap in a Linksys and spoof the MAC but PPOE doesn't work that way.

Ok, I just set one up for my brother. He has a dsl modem with a linksys broadband + wireless.

All I had to do was go into the router, setup to use ppoe supplied the user name and password and all was done.

If your router doesnt support the differnt connections, then yes, your gonna have a problem. However, I do know the linksys does work.

Ok, I just set one up for my brother. He has a dsl modem with a linksys broadband + wireless.

All I had to do was go into the router, setup to use ppoe supplied the user name and password and all was done.

If your router doesnt support the differnt connections, then yes, your gonna have a problem. However, I do know the linksys does work.

Thats a classic DSL modem not a "D#%!! newfangled DSL modem".

The new ones have the PPPOE client and a DHCP server built in, you can just add a switch and do the port forwarding inside them once you find out what you have and they haven't tried to lock you out.

Except that a few providers have had massive problems with it. It depends how densely the area is filled with suscribers and how much bandwith do they use. Will every user see it? No. Will users of DVR's see it? Very likely. Streaming video is bandwith intensive.

People who just surf the web and check e-mail won't see it. But people who use other applications can and will see it.

Yeah, there's theoretical differences... that aren't going to even be noticable to 99% of users, let alone significant enough for most to care about.

Yup it's a theory based on the cable ISP not caring about it's quality of service, so far for me cable has proven to be superior for the money in every install EXCEPT here locally to me (go figure). They (Allegiance Communications) use a BW monitor and are downright dastardly about it. They don't tell ya until the install is complete and tested then the tech points it out.

For that, Allegiance Communcations recieves my chittiest ISP award '05!

You can top that off with them billing you for the first month or two when you tell the installer thats not what you agreed to.