Sir Flannel

License Plate Camera

Looking for opinions on a camera to read license plates from about 20 meters. I can get a good image on a camera from that distance, but I am wanting to know about being able to get a good picture at night. Should I use a standard camera with a spot light, or is there a good alternative that won't be overpowered by the headlights at night? Thanks

go any camera with WDR(Wide Dynamic Range).

And what about nighttime .. especially where there is low light?

Hope you dont mind if I jump in here.

With those cameras that you linked too Rory, do you also need an infrared light to go along with them for nightime view of plates? Or is it not necessary?

Thanks.

Hope you dont mind if I jump in here.

With those cameras that you linked too Rory, do you also need an infrared light to go along with them for nightime view of plates? Or is it not necessary?

Thanks.

Hi, no.. sought of .. they have IR built in, among many other features that cut out everything else but the licence plate ... they are a plug and play solution. They're used around the world now in places like London, Las Vegas, and many more places, Extreme is used by the Military and Nato around the globe.

go with the extreme. You will be frustrated and disappointed with anything else

ditto....I have tried and tried with other cameras. Sometimes you can be somewhat successfull and sometimes you are way off. If your looking to get the job done right, professionally, and want 90% plus capture rate, go with Extreme.

Hijacking the thread again....

Thanks guys for your help.

I contacted the people at Extreme CCTV and they were VERY helpful.

Lots of information on there website too. Including an "Interactive Product Advisor" that is helpful in determining which model to use.

You guys are the shizznit.

Thanks again.

the one thing about extreme is dont be in a hurry. Because you will learn the meaning of patience.

Looking for opinions on a camera to read license plates from about 20 meters. I can get a good image on a camera from that distance, but I am wanting to know about being able to get a good picture at night. Should I use a standard camera with a spot light, or is there a good alternative that won't be overpowered by the headlights at night? Thanks

The Mobotix camera M range is the perfect camera for you, check out the article on my blog http://www.videophonie.be

If you then head over to Mobotix, you will see they actually have implemented this feature with success, no problem with headlights...