Sign in to follow this  
kao

IP Software recording - MJPEG vs MPEG4

Hello,

I notice that the different IP software out there seem to have different ways of recording video.

It appears that the mjpeg software records several jpeg images - 10s of thousands per camera per day on a 100mb network.

This leads to a file management nightmare for Windows XP on a 4GHZ PC with 2GB of RAM. It really slows things down trying to view or even delete that many files.

Also the bandwith used while recieving the images from the camera is fairly high at around 1mb per second.

High compared to MPEG4 anyway.

Other mjpeg software seeems to pull all the jpeg files in, then squeezes them into some sort of video file like AVI. This seems more efficient than leaving the raw jpegs laying around, but still produces high bandwidth.

While testing software that was recording streams from MPEG4 cameras, I found that the bandwidth usage was far lower - on a magnitude of 20x less and picture quality was still pretty good.

What I would like posted here is your insight on how most of the common IP software solutions are storing their data.

I know they do not support IP cameras (at this time) but I really like the way Geovision manages their video recordings. I would like to see an IP software solution that does it the same way.

Anyone care to shed some light on how these softwares save their video data? I am interested in both MJPEG and MPEG4 formats.

Luxriot

Go1984

Visual Hindsight

Milestone

IVista

Netcam-Watcher

Video Insight

We store the video in an .avi shell (.avi is just a container shell, it isn't a format per se). The codec used is set by the user. Is that what you wanted to know?

We store the video in an .avi shell (.avi is just a container shell, it isn't a format per se). The codec used is set by the user. Is that what you wanted to know?

Yes, thank you.