Sign in to follow this  
michaelwgroves

PoE system, where to start

I am looking to install a PoE system, I'm fine with the network side of things but not sure which manufacturer might be best.

I have broadband with good upload speed. I need 5 camera's, two external. I want the ability to record to cloud and view remotely, any recommendations?

Thanks,

CCTV Requirements

• 3 internal Cameras

• 2 External Cameras

• PoE

• Remote live View

o Phone & PC

• Remote historical view and cloud backup

Desirable

• Face recognition and logging.

o Stores logs of recognised and unrecognised visitors

Hi. Systems usually come in 4-8-16 and on. If your looking for 5 cameras then you need an 8 way.

Is this for a home or business? And why do you want face recognition?

Face recognition is usually found on high end pro

You have to keep in mind face recognition is not the same as face detection which is what you find on small systems..... face detection can not determine a known person vs unknown person face detection takes images of every face.which never works right and you won’t use as it’s the footage you would turn to anyway.

I would look at lorex as they give you the cloud if needed and you can also know have the option if in USA or uk to use a local monitoring station which is a good option to use if your away from home for a long period of time like a holiday and when back have the monitoring stopped..... this saves paying for a full years monitoring

Thanks for reply, this is for business, HMO, Temporary Accommodation, we need to know who is in the building.

No guests allowed. Idea is take photo's of allowed tenants and management. If an unknown person enters the building it should trigger an alert. The property manager would then view footage to confirm if person is unknown or false positive.

If unknown the property manager would visit property to investigate.

The property in not manned 24/7, there will be frequent visits and off site CCTV monitoring, but can't guarantee to catch every event. Technology seems the answer.

I'm starting to think CCTV and face recognition are two separate things. Maybe you can’t but as a package? CCTV is just the source.

If this is correct it makes it simpler in that I can focus on CCTV today. So that in mind I assume any PoE system that can record a video stream will be sufficient. I’ve read face recognition requires 1080 to be successful.

Any recommendations?

I'm starting to think CCTV and face recognition are two separate things. Maybe you can’t but as a package? CCTV is just the source.

If this is correct it makes it simpler in that I can focus on CCTV today. So that in mind I assume any PoE system that can record a video stream will be sufficient. I’ve read face recognition requires 1080 to be successful.

Any recommendations?

Hi. For what you want to do it's going to cost you a lot of money and then it would be easy for people to get past.

Face recognition needs more than what you think.

First you need a database of people's faces who are allowed....... And your tenants don't need to allow you to hold that information.

Then you would need every person to pass a location where a camera can detect the face every time. If people lower there head so it's easy to get passed.

You would be better using a door entry which will trigger recording when door is opening and closing and also log the persons who used the door.

The recorder will also show how many entry and exits each day.

What is your budget ?

There's no budget set at the moment.

Tenants would have no choice in having their photo taken, it would be a contractual requirement, no photo, no room.

I agree it would be easy to bypass, but this would trigger event to property manager requiring him to visit to clarify.

I agree it's looking expensive as it's still early days. I don't need to be a pioneer. I'm thinking now just go for a quality system that I can upgrade in the future when face recognition becomes more affordable.

So I'm now just looking to get a quality camera's and good NVR that external software can process video's at a later date.

Do you have any recommendations?

I agree it would be easy to bypass, but this would trigger event to property manager

No it can't .......what will trigger the event ??

You are expecting to much from face recognition...... You will need a PC ..... You will need a database of everyone who enters the building including service people.

You would be better with a door entry system either via card or biometrics.

One the lock has been activated a camera on the other side of the door will start to record and send alerts to your mobile or managements mobile with real time video so you can see if the card holder is by themself or with someone else.

The other good reason for door entry is only people with a entry card can get past the door. Which will work much better for you.

Door entry will also log who enters the building every time.

No one can recommend anything before you give your budget