amyangel

SWANN POE Cameras w/NVR Network help needed

Long story, i bought my house from an owner recently that had a home business and professional servers in the house. He also had HIK POE cameras connected to an HIK NVR. We have a back office which is not connected to the house.

I attached a photo of his original setup that i took prior to buying the house.
He had all the POE wiring come into the main house hardwired to the switch panel. From there he connected wires to the NVR from the looks of it.

The red wire (which i utilize now) connects internet to the wall switch in the office (port 21). From there i have a line out from the wall switch (port 1) to an AP router which i extend my wireless.

He had 2 POE cameras in the back office and from looks of his original setup he had wiring Port 22 and 23 in the main house switch for those cameras.

I ended up buying a SWANN NVR8-8580 plus 2 dome cameras because he wanted $3000 for his HIK cameras. I have no issues with the main house for the POE cameras. The office 2 cameras i am unable to figure out how to power up.

1. I wish i could run each Ethernet directly to the NVR but they are all hardwired into the switch panels both in main house and office.

I guess my question is, could i do this: Office POE cameras from switch panel --> AP router --> main house switch panel --> NVR? Assuming i can figure out which port in the office has the POE cameras wired to?

2. If i cannot, do i need to put a POE switch between the AP router and then try to find the POE cameras from the switch panel?

Can the POE cameras power through the AP to the main switch in the house then to the NVR? or do i need a separate POE switch to power the up and then connect to AP to be detected on the NVR?
Everything connects on the same network.

I have basic network knowledge but beyond that is a bit challenging. ?

thanks for the help. sorry if my explanation is long.

Original POE setup.jpg

POE-cams-setup-1.5.jpg

Hi. We’re ports 22 and 23 on the dis board (it’s not a switch 

just run a short cat5 from 22 and 23 into your nvr direct ... poe power will pass through 

Hi Thanks, The NVR is in the main house so i have cables going from 22 and 23 into the NVR already.

It didn't detect the 2 cameras in the back so i wasn't sure if I need to do anything to the board in the office like jump 2 of the connectors together or connect them to the ASUS AP i have in the office.

It seems the 2 cameras cables leads into the 24 port board in the office, In order for the office to get internet i had to plug port 1 into my AP and that leads back to the port 21 on the main board in the house.

I wasn't sure if it's not powering up because it's unable to directly connect to the NVR. In that case am i missing a POE switch in the back office? i'm guessing my AP is not powering up the cameras.

Thanks

Ok I understand your pictures now ......when you first seen the last owners office cameras were there connected to the small dis box or are there cables coming from ceiling 

Unfortunately, i didn't get a good view of the office panel so i don't know how he had it, seems all the wires in the office leads to that square box.

Wires normally terminate at camera location (corner of room ) by your pictures you would have to run a cable to each camera from that small dis box

Yes it seems he had it wired to the dis board but I couldn’t be sure what port. I tried plugging a cat6 cable to each port leading into the lan on my AP trying to figure it out but nothing  came up on myNVR through that method. A few of my friends say it’s weird to see this type of box in a house 

From that i assumed i’m miss Something or my AP can’t power the Poe cams. I assumed the poe cams can’t power on because it’s not getting a porper power source. But I didn’t know what that board thing was called to search 

He told me he had 7  cams.  From wiring left open there was 5 at main house and 2 in back office. I want to keep NVR in main houze. I don’t mind getting a poe switch or injectors as long as i can get the 2 additional cans in office working. He seems to have wired them into that dis board. It seems he had wiring done when he had the office built so i just plugged the cameras into the existing wiring assuming it would just work lol 

8 minutes ago, amyangel said:

He had 7  cams.  5 at main house and 2 in back office. I want to keep NVR in main houze. I don’t mind getting a poe switch or injectors as long as i can get the 2 additional cans in office working. He seems to have wired them into that dis board. It seems he had wiring done when he had the office built so i just plugged the cameras into the existing wiring assuming it would just work lol 

ok we can only go buy pictures last owners shows 6 cameras .....yellow is NVR network cable 

in the back office were did he have the cameras ....... You will still red to get cables to camera position 

Sorry :)

In the back office i've attached location of the 2. The pictures are his old ones, i just put SWANN ones in place of them. There's only one location in the 140sqft office and it all leads to that box.

Thanks!

poe back cameras.jpg

back office2.jpg

Yeps, i led 22,23,24 to the NVR, then went to the office when nothing happened and tried testing a cat6 cable into each port leading back into the AP that was in the office.

i can try tonight to see if i can take the camera down then plug an ethernet cable to the AP directly and see if that patches through as well. :)

1 hour ago, tomcctv said:

ok we can only go buy pictures last owners shows 6 cameras .....yellow is NVR network cable 

in the back office were did he have the cameras ....... You will still red to get cables to camera position 

I just realized you said yellow was NVR network cable, i wonder if that leads back to the office patch panel? ( I just found the wording finally for that panel). :)

Hi, sorry to bother again. 

I tested a few things.
1. port 22 in main patch panel - tried running a cat6 from lan on NVR to it but it doesn't have internet and didn't work.
    also tried plugging into all the main connectors. 
   2,3,4,6,7 are now set up for 5 cams in the main house perimeter. 
2. I also tried testing a POE cam directly to NVR no problems, when i tried connecting directly to AP in office, it won't power on. 
   (I assume i need to get a POE switch now)

I am unable to figure out which ports the cameras are wired to assuming i need to power them on first?

Can i wire (assuming i figure out which of the 24 ports the POE cameras x2 are hardwired to):  POE cams x2 --> POE switch --> AP ----> patch panel (office) --> patch panel (main house) --> main router --> NVR (on same network).  wondering if the NVR should detect it this way? also i was able to take a photo, looks like he does have wiring coming in to the ports 22,23. 

patch panel - main house.jpg

patch panel - main house2.jpg

Could you open that office panel up and see how the cables are terminated I wonder if a cat5 cable needs to bridge between the cables  connections 

1 hour ago, cctvman1379 said:

Could you open that office panel up and see how the cables are terminated I wonder if a cat5 cable needs to bridge between the cables  connections 

yeps i'm going to try that tomorrow and see what happens. :) thanks!

Update: I bought a TPLink 4port POE switch from amazon, i used it to test the levitron patch panel and found that ports 16/17 were wired for the POE cams. There's also ports 3 and 4 but it only lite up yellow on the switch and not green (not sure what that went to).

I was able to power through to AP and then connected from main patch panel 22,23.

As far as the SWANN 8580 goes, i was able to set it into manual mode and add 1 camera using my login and pw for the NVR.
when it came to the second camera, for some reason the login pw didn't work. I followed the manufacture website and downloaded the device config tool but the default pw to get into the camera didn't work. I tried 12345, admin, default, mac address and even my pw for the NVR. 
Looks like i'm almost there assuming i can get SWANN to help reset the cam's pw so i could add to the NVR.

Thanks everyone! really appreciate all the support. hopefully i can dig around and find the master PW for the cam or get a call back from their lv2 support.

Hi nothing wrong with your camera  .... it just means it’s been plugged into the nvr and it’s already been given a ip 

long way around ..... but I don’t understand why a switch  when all is needed is two small patch leads 

for future testing and getting to know your network I would recommend you buy a cheap tester will save you a lot of time and effort and money and it lets you know what cable is we’re 

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Ethernet-Accurately-Configurations-TC-NT2-x/dp/B0000AZK08

• Thanks 1