windman

Ge Storesafe II connecting problems

I have port 1024 open and i have been able to connect from differnt computers and from the internal network. But sometimes i am not able to connect to the dvr on outside computers. I am not sure if it is something wrong with my dlink router or if it is my isp that is the problem. THe problem with connecting is off and on sometimes i can get on sometimes not. Thanks for all your help.

Sounds like a cable problem, test or replace your patch cable to the router.

Outside computers? The same or different? How long have you been using these computers with GE? Through Wavereader or browser? If it's Wavereader, make sure you're working with the latest version of Wavereader, cause the Storesafe II didn't work well with versions before (I think) 4.2.19. It would say connected for a few seconds, but never get video. Just something to check out

I am trying to connect using lots of differnt computers. I am not sure if maybe my router is going out and is not port forwarding or what it is. MY isp says that i have spyware imagine that that is thier answer to every problem.

What software are you using to connect to these? Has to be WaveReader 4.0 .. or are you trying this via Web Browser?

If it keeps dropping its either the ISP, Cable Modem, or Router ...

yes i am using the wavereader 4.24.4 Is there a way to check the router to see if the port is open? How do i check each these router, modem or my isp. I know that i have opened the ports right but just not sure why it isnt consist. I mean if i am on the lan at the site i can connect no problem. I then can call someone and have them get on and see it but then when i try later or when anyone trys later it doesnt connect. No im not trying it thru the web browser. This is driving me crazy because the site is about 90 miles from where i live and with the cost of gas. Thanks in advance for any help and those that have already helped.

Well .. first make sure you or someone else isnt just closing out without disconnecting first .. sometimes that can be an issue .. but that was mostly with the older versions from a few years ago ..

I havent used the StoreSafe 2 so cant speak for that, but im sure its not that much different ..

The port is already forwarded once you are able to connect once from outside .. but you can always do a telnet ...

Command Prompt. (where 10.10.10.10 = the IP)

Telnet 10.10.10.10 1024

Once you get clear screen then it is okay for that part ..

Honestly sounds like an ISP or Modem issue .. I have a client here who has issues connecting to their DVR ... not GE but still .. i have no issues .. their connection drops on and off all the time when trying to connect or while they are connected ... typically it can be the Cable Modem, or just issues in their area with the Cable Node ... sometimes even as simple as wiring/connectors ... but from my experience down here its always been the Cable Modem like 99% of the time ..

Is there any other PC connected lcoally to the network the DVR is on ?

If so .. need to do some tests and make sure it can download larhe amounts of data .. just pick a really large file off the web somewhere ... but you also need to test upload .. though since it keeps dropping. .. all you really need to test is connectivity ... if you can download say a 300MB file no issues, around the same time then hardware is okay ...

If not then need to look at other options like Switching the router ... cheaper than replacing the DVR ... which could also have a bad LAN ..

Ive had bad routers a few times ... some didnt act up till a month or so later ... bad Cable modems more times than can I can count .. mostly lightning related .. (everything is overhead here).. and ofcourse the ISP itself has had many issues on and off ..just depends ..

If you want .. PM me the Ip of the DVR etc .. and ill test it out from my PC as Im 100% certain I dont currently have any malware or viruses .

Lastly if there is another PC there ... put a server program of any kind on there, port forward to that and then keep testing it with Telnet ...

these are the settings i have on the dvr not sure if this helps you rory

ethernet: enable

hostname : -------- (letters and numbers here)

dhcp : enable (not sure this shouldnt be disabled)

Name service: disabled

ddms update interval: 2 min

ip address: the inside ip i have here

the rest i dont have naything in except for the listen port which is 1024

I noticed that the dvr has a differnt ip since i changed out the router not sure if that happens all the time or only when the router is reset or putting a differnt one in. I did find out one interesting fact the modem (Airspan is the name of it) goes to sleep so it saves on bandwith while no ones is surfing the web. So i installed weather bug so it will be getting weather updates and getting outside of the router so the modem wont sleep. So i am hoping this is going to fix it.

Edited by Guest

Disable dhcp .... that should fix it ..

the gateway should also be set to the router's ip, and subnet also...

used to be, just on here right now is all ..

basically what it is doing is assigning a new IP to the DVR and as the Router isnt forwarded to that new IP you get an issue .. have to make sure the DVR is 100% static .. subnet is normally 255.255.255.0, gateway being the routers IP, eg 192.168.1.1 ... and then make the DVR something else like 192.168.1.200 ..

Port forward to that IP with ports 1024-1024 .. and should be good to go.

Also, is your ISP IP a static or dynamic?

Rory

my ip is static . I have everything screwed up now the network the dvr all of it im going to go to the town I think in the morning to work things out thanks for the help guys i may need some Thursday