larrytoledo

Samsung SSC-21C

Has anyone out there tried to wire a Samsung SSC-21C so that is can be used with a standard Multiplexor. I know they are not the greatest cameras, but I work for a Non-Profit and somebody donated 60 of them and I would hate to throw them away.

Thanks,

Not tried it, but there is a manual available http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/7754s.pdf which gives the pin out details for the cameras.

The camera appears to use standard composite (VBS) video, which should be compatible with most multiplexers that take standard cctv cameras, just need to chop of the plug and wire up the video / gnd and 12vdc and 0v.

You will need some connectors, and a power supply for the cameras and you should be fine.

Have not tried this on this type of camera, so you do so at your own risk, but I have done the same on similar type cameras which came with non standard plugs, just got the pinout, chopped of the plug and rewired as needed.

It can be done with the Samsung cameras that have the RJ-11 output jack, just be careful you don't get the pins mixed up. Did they give you cables? Its a basic RJ-11 cable with 6 conductors, however the video is typically shielded on the cctv cables. I've converted monitors like the Samsung accepting the RJ-11 cables into a regular monitor by making a BNC with audio to RJ-11 converter box. Works well, maybe you can do the same thing. The attached pic is an example of and RJ-11 to BNC adapter, however the pic is only an example as it is from security and more and I am not sure of the pin layout.

P.S. this project is a bit time consuming. Good luck.

cvcrj11a.jpg.84fbb15d0d29999ff6ddc886ac68f2fd.jpg

Thanks for the ideas, but I still can't get anything out of them. I got the pin layout and tried several combinations. But still no luck. Here was what it did (just to see if it makes sense.

Pin Layout

1 - Alarm_out

2 - Video_out

3 - GND

4 - GND

5 - Audio_out

6 - 12V DC

took pin 2 to a center pin on a bnc

took pin 6 to positive DC

pin 3 and 4 I assumed were the ground for the DC or Video, tried that both ways.

Any other ideas!

Could be a faulty cam (you have 60 so could always try another or experiment, even if it blew a few cams, would save money in the long run if you did figure it out).

Or the pinout in the manual could be incorrect, I have seen that happen before (a classic was with a IBM server, back in the dark ages, when they cost a fortune more than they do now, and the manual told me to put the co-processor in the wrong way round, which I didnt do, as it would have probably got me fired when it went bang... I just followed my head, and ignored the manual, and it worked fine)

Are the wires colour coded? What colours are the wires on the pins?

Are you reading the pinout backwards (ie wiring up pin 6 as 1, 5 as 2 etc)?

Is there a faulty wire or connection? Check them all.

What are you trying to view the image on?

I did try the pinout backward, just to see if it would work, the way it is displayed in the manual is backwards compared to how most people would read it.

I have tried several of the camera, just to make sure that I wasn't testing a bad one. I am using a old sony trinitron monitor for testing the resolution sucks but I tried a couple of my standard cameras and they work just fine on it.

I didn't get any of the orginal cables with them. Today I am going to take a few apart and try to trace the circuit board, but with wiring diagrams I can read just about anything. Circuit diagrams are another story.

Hopefully if I can ever get them to work, I want to install some of them as web cams. I done several with other cams. Anybody can check them out on www.toledozoo.org. I will apologize ahead of time for the Hippo cam the water is very dirty we have had alot of rain lately.

Thanks,

From the looks of the pin layout you can easily mix up the order it is in. The picture shows the pin layout as if you were to plug the RJ-11 plug into the monitor so basically if you pull the plug out and hold it upside down with the wire pointing up and facing the pins, that is the way the pin should be read. Either way, its a pain in the butt to do all that work with the pin layout and try and make it work. Why don't you try and look for some used monitors on auction sites that may work with this color cam. Just a thought, but I am persistant just like you.