osity

I want to upgrade my system but I have recently run new Coax all over.

I currently have the PC based Aver NV5000 with up to 8 BNC cameras hooked up using relatively new siamese Coaxial cable.  My cameras have been stolen so I would like to upgrade my system to use HD 1080 type cameras. 
Can I still use this coax wiring setup that has been run within the walls to achieve 1080 HD or should I run different cable or maybe even go wireless?  

I assume I'll need to replace the NV5000 and obviously get new cams. I really liked the ease of interface and feature of the NV5000.
Any recommendations on a HD1080 PC based system replacement would be appreciated. 

Maybe I should depart from PC based after 18 years?

Hi. Yes the avermedia was a good system for a few years but they stopped cctv I few years ago.

you are fine with your existing coax and power supplies 

mess your 5000 home built or aver built 

coax will take upto 8mp HD cameras only problem is if going pc your option is going ip 

The NV5000 DVR PC was built by me.  Will the 8MB HD cameras on coax look as good as the 8MP IP cameras using cat5e?

I contacted a local security camera guy and he said I would need to attach a some expensive encoder/converter devices on the end of the cable if I stayed the coax route.

He was originally thinking of running new cat5 but said he has to come take a look and check the length of the existing coax to see which method is better. 
At what point is coax too long of a run?

They use the PC based watchdog system. Is this good?

Yes there is no difference if HD analog or IP

coax has a much longer range than cat5

there vms software is not 8mp or is there dvrs or nvrs so it might be best looking at 5mp 

if your going windows then yes your option is run new cat5 to your locations 

any reason why you don’t want a standalone 

We looked up those converter/encoder thingies and they cost almost $1000 so my installer is wanting to run cat5E and put in up to 5MP IP cameras.

"there vms software is not 8mp or is there dvrs or nvrs so it might be best looking at 5mp "     
What is vms? I don't understand this sentence. 

We build computers and have them everywhere so I figured I could build a far more powerful PC for peanuts.  The installer told me I would just need some labour, cams and licences for watchdog,  tied into a network switch.
Why would I want a standalone instead?

24 minutes ago, osity said:

We looked up those converter/encoder thingies and they cost almost $1000 so my installer is wanting to run cat5E and put in up to 5MP IP cameras.

They might be from your installer but there not that much .

why start to pay to use cameras with a licence ??

a VMS .....video managment software ...... Something you would use on a PC to control and view cameras.

sticking with your coax you could go 2mp upto 8mp ..... Use a standalone for storage and use a PC with a good vms ........ And have no yearly licence costs on each camera 

The 8 channel converters I saw online were all pretty pricey. The cheaper ones only supported 1 or 2  channels.

This Digital Watchdog system comes with management software (VMS),  but you pay a one time licence fee of $100 per camera installed, so it seems that my VMS would cost me $400 CAD,

Are there free VMS that would compete with Digital Watchdog? What do you mean by standalone storage, is that some kind of NAS box?  

I have no problem paying for Digital Watchdog if it offers improved, cool, easy to use features. They call themselves the industry leader, is this not the case?

4 hours ago, osity said:

The 8 channel converters I saw online were all pretty pricey.

No point on 8 channel  ...... only if all your cameras are in the same location

$100 per camera ..... paying is a thing of the past .... but like your installer has said no 8mp or 265 supports which means it’s going to go out of date quick

4 hours ago, osity said:

I have no problem paying for Digital Watchdog if it offers improved, cool, easy to use features. They call themselves the industry leader, is this not the case?

Every cctv manufacture uses the term 

industry leader or world leader........ even if they only started last week

your in Canada ...... the home of the industry leader  Avigilon 

:)  

Send me a link to a converter that that would support 8 cameras for cheap. ( I'm currently starting with 4 cameras)  It seems kinda silly to buy analog cameras when I'm starting fresh with no cameras right now.

You keep saying paying a license fee is a thing of the past, What is my alternative? 

54 minutes ago, osity said:

:)  

Send me a link to a converter that that would support 8 cameras for cheap. ( I'm currently starting with 4 cameras)  It seems kinda silly to buy analog cameras when I'm starting fresh with no cameras right now.

You keep saying paying a license fee is a thing of the past, What is my alternative? 

You don't buy one that supports 8 cameras ....... They need to be camera end 

no one has told you to buy analog .......HD analog is MP just that it runs on coax and goes upto 8mp ... Which is what your post was about. Existing coax.

even watchdog do a HD analog 

yes I'll say again licence fee is just waste of money a thing of the past 

and only 4 cameras to start .... That's $400 you don't even need to spend 

I appreciate the feedback.

Since you have not provided any requested links to cheaper encoders which that you mention or any alternatives to a quality, fully functional  VMS,  I'm going to assume the  $400 CAD with IP cameras option is my least stressful path at this point and really not that much money at all considering those encoders will also cost money. IP seems to be the way of the future.