Sign in to follow this  
Big Ry

Odd Urgent Request: Can I setup a quick temporary PoE IP Cam directly through laptop or router?

I'm doing an i7-8700 surveillance PC build, which will run BI.  I'm planning to do the build this weekend at my brother-in-laws, since I've never built a PC and he has experience.  I still need to figure out the PoE switch or injector or whatever other non-PC hardware I'll be using to connect the cams, so I do not have any of that stuff on hand yet.

Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of a fued with my city's trash collection department all of a sudden.  If the trend continues, tomorrow morning will mark 3 consecutive weeks they've not collected my trash but stated in their system that it was collected.  Filing formal complaints has proved fruitless, as they simply close the claim saying it was "filed in error".  So tomorrow's trash day again, and I'm in desperate need of some evidence that they're not even coming.  We already have (3) 96 Gal trash cans that are completely full and several more bags with no cans to put them in.

My cams are all Dahua:

(2) IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
(2) IPC-HDW5831R-ZE

For immediate connection of the IP Cam, I have: this laptop Im typing on (Asus N73JQ), my Asus RT-AC68U router, and a brand new TP Link TL-SG108E 8-port gigabit unmanaged switch (purchased a while ago for other project but never used).

Can any of the cams be connected using any of the devices listed above?  I do not have power cables for the ip cams, so they'd need PoE.  I do not want to damage the cams by underpowering them though, so if that's a concern I would rather not attempt it.

you can connect using the equipment but you wil need some kind of nvr software.  You should be able to find some free demo versions if you are only going to be using it for a couple of days.  why don't you take some photoes that are time stamped to prove you were not picked up?   seems like less fuss