Sign in to follow this  
Roadwolf

RS485 Cabling?

Greetings!

I am wondering how critical the wiring needs are for an RS485 2wire control connection?  Does it need to be cat5 twisted pair all the way?  or could it handle a short stretch of untwisted pair?

I have a Pelco Spectra III I am working on controlling through RS485 from an imported DVR box, which has 2wire RS485 out, and supports pelco D and P protocols...   Everything looks to be set up properly, however I am still getting no control.  The only thing I wonder about, is that the control cable going out to the camera piggybacks onto 2 conductors which were additional unused wires in the 24VAC supply cable.  I wonder if that would cause it to not function due to noise?  Likely huh?

That sucks because there is really no room in the conduit for another cable :(   And since I am running this from NET300's I cant use coaxitron to control it.

From experience in the 2000,s when I worked in the cctv installation as a trainee I was always taught to use beldon screened 2 pair cable for data transmission and earth the screen wire I've never trusted cat5 or cat6 as a transmission line I have ptzs at home and have cabled in beldon cable and the job I'm working on at present I'm cabling the data in beldon it's just how I was trained and have carried it on for 15 years 

Twisted pair is best to use for RS485 data control (CAT5 or CAT6) but I use a untwisted pair before and I was able to control a Pelco Spectra's.

If you're still unable to control the PTZ do the following.

Make sure RS485 polarity are correct. (RS485+ and RS485-)

PTZ protocol and DVR are the same. (Pelco D )

PTZ and DVR Baud rate are the same ( 2400)

Good Luck!