bda

Warehouse installation

I am trying to spec out DVR/cameras for a large warehouse installation.

The warehouse is about 300k sq feet (600' x 480’).

We need reasonable coverage of 24 bay doors (i.e., we don't have to be able to see inside all the trailers, just forklifts going in/out and possible theft of products (large cardboard cases). We need coverage of all the pedestrian entries, and a few cameras’ in strategic interior locations. We hope to keep about 30 days worth of footage from all cameras.

I prefer the idea of an embedded OS, so a hard drive failure won’t make me take time to reinstall windows (also, one less machine to manage updates, antivirus, etc.)

I’d like recommendations on cameras and DVRs. At this point, a 16 camera system is a minimum. I’d like to explore a 32 camera system, but I won’t be against 2 16 camera systems. The DVR will ideally allow several different classes of users view live/recorded video.

What other information would be helpful to make recommendations?

for the baydoors i would go with a wide dynamic range camera - i have done several warehouses here in chicago and you need a wdr camera like panasonic's to get a good picture with the 2 lighting conditions.

harddrive failure usually will happen with the hd thats storing all the video and i always have the separate from the os so you dont have to reload xp when it goes down.. with embedded if the system goes down and it isnt the hd then you have to send the entire unit back to the mfg or dealer with a pc based system you can goto ur local electronics store and buy a new video card, or memory or hd,etc and be back and running - my2cents

i would go with 2 16s rather than 1 32 becuase u will get better resolution and framerate per camera with a 16. lots of people here like geovision for dvrs. as for cameras i would go with panasonic for wdr for the baydoors and you could go with a ganz indoor dome or box camera for the indoor shots

feel free to pm or email me if u need anything

good luck

for the baydoors i would go with a wide dynamic range camera - i have done several warehouses here in chicago and you need a wdr camera like panasonic's to get a good picture with the 2 lighting conditions.

harddrive failure usually will happen with the hd thats storing all the video and i always have the separate from the os so you dont have to reload xp when it goes down.. with embedded if the system goes down and it isnt the hd then you have to send the entire unit back to the mfg or dealer with a pc based system you can goto ur local electronics store and buy a new video card, or memory or hd,etc and be back and running - my2cents

i would go with 2 16s rather than 1 32 becuase u will get better resolution and framerate per camera with a 16. lots of people here like geovision for dvrs. as for cameras i would go with panasonic for wdr for the baydoors and you could go with a ganz indoor dome or box camera for the indoor shots

feel free to pm or email me if u need anything

good luck

You can embed XP or Linux on PCs, best of both worlds. I have actually just started selling prepackaged embedded customized XP and DVR software/drivers. Buy a PC, fdisk it and move it's HD to IDE2 stick the "module" (IDE to CF all in one dealy, read only) on IDE1, plug in the DVR card and you are off.