Sign in to follow this  
oh6hfx

Backing up lot of video from Dahua NVR

Well I have sort of a problem with Dahua NVR. (4208-4K-S2)

There has happened something some day in view of one camera. Nobody know the time window and target is not visible in the image so I have to do it old-fashioned way and

roll many days video with fast speed to see if there is something moving.

NVR is in remote location and it needs to be running all the time, so I can't take it with me.

With SmartPSS and Web UI via internet it is great pain. Can't make speed fast enough to make it bearable, need to sit watching days otherwise..

Downloading clips with SmartPSS takes forever, even in local network. It really is slow even in 1GBps connection.

Backing up to USB stick or disk seemed to be a good option but seems to be I can only put 1024 files in queue at once. And this can be done only locally, not possible to do USB backup via Web UI or SmartPSS. Duh.  (Well, with web UI this looks like possible but

it won't find the usb drive and also any recordings!) Otherwise I could sit home and command NVR to do backup for 1024 files, then next, then next... but no. Well I could still try this to put it backup only continuous recordings, now I chose all which includes also motion detection recordings and maybe that makes amount of files so much.

Also I found that Dahua has disk manager which can read NVR disk on a PC. Tried that with my own NVR and result is promising. Maybe disk manager is what I need to use now. I go to NVR, take the disk off and put an other in and then check the disk with PC.

Not so easy. Dahua needs to make that USB backup better, and also remote-usable.

Well, I picked up the 3TB hard disk from NVR and put 500GB in to record while I am checking the other one.

Dahua disk manager says "Failed to open record!" for every clip I have clicked. Frustrated.

Seems I am able to view recordings from 27 may to 2nd june 12:00. Outside that time clips are "Failed to open record."

As found nothing in this time window, I returned the hard disk in NVR and started time-taking process to backup on USB hard disk. NVR seems to be able to

play all ok. One day / one camera is roughly 30GB, and that takes always 30 minutes to transfer to USB.

I have also new NVR 4.0 software version on usb stick to do an update, but I'm worried if new version can't play hard disk content..

I was able to back up few days of video from NVR. Directly to USB and then I found out that when connecting in local network with web UI, I can download .dav files also. This does not work however, if I connect from outside LAN trough port forwarding. Don't know why, but it does not found any recordings. So, downloading parallel to USB and via ethernet I was double faster. Still it took 2 hours to get 4 days of video from one channel.

Saga continues. Updated FW to NVR 4.0. Recordings saved, but in NVR 4.0 web UI can't find option to do a remote backup.