Gesualdo

IR

Hello again,

I have read all the posts regarding IR cameras and illuminators and I understand the differences in wavelength response, and the difference in bulb, laser, and LED types of IR Illuminators and even the degree angle of coverage. also that the difference in the total number of illuminators combined with the total power output, and degree of coverage, and (most importantly) the amount of reflective material determines range of effectiveness.

Now, is there a difference in the products from different manufactures of IR illuminators (ie Pelco vs Extreme vs an OEM) when it comes to comparing there products, (ie. Standard LED type with 30 LEDS at 850nm range)?

How would I know?

I understand each manufactures warrantee there products differently so I am talking the actual product side by side.

Thanks

Two lamps that both have say 30 leds, same wavelength, same angle of coverage etc may be of completely different quality.

A badly designed one may just take the power coming in, and pass it straight through resistors to the leds. Bought a cheapo led illuminator on ebay a couple of years ago, this is how it operated, other than a simple photocell circuit, the power was unregulated and passed straight into the leds. Soldering quality was low, the unit overheated, and leds blew fast. Leds should last years, not hours.

A well designed (and most probably, more expensive) will have either, much better power regulation, and quality resistors and weather proofiing/heat dissipation at the least, and should ideally pulse the leds, as leds can give a *much* brighter ouptut if pulsed at higher than normal current, but for short periods of time.

(Fruit machines (slot machines for US people) use the same method for the flashing lights on them, they pulse them fast, uses less overall power for a much brighter display)

Design of the IR unit is critical, a badly designed unit, will work, but the leds will not last as long as they should, meaning the unit becomes junk in a short period of time.

The only real way to compare units, is to try them out, you will find manufacturers specifications are usually something that should be taken with a grain of salt. Although things like length of warranty are a reasonable indicator of how long the manufacturer expects the products to last.

Thanks for the reply and the information.

I was thinking about the same thing. Being an end user myself, it gets expensive fast when experimenting and only need a small quantity. went with extreme cameras and was surprised by the response from the cameras.