dangrey46

new cctv system

hi, 

Just to give you a rough idea of my situation and needs, any help is really appreciated. 

• require 7/8 cameras - so preferable would like to buy 16 channel system (to future proof)

• DVR - so far I think DVR suits me best due to cost and also the fact that I don't have very strong internet or consistent internet all the time. (i have heard that an NVR system when recording can generate quite a large pull on the internet.)

• one of my main requirements is to be able to view the cameras on my iPhone. 

• I would like to be able to have one or two high-quality cameras (whatever that may be classed as) on the front of my house in the porch. They need to be able to see someone's face reasonably well. 

• I'm planning on installing some small led floodlights on the front and back of the house if this benefits the cameras at all or changed anything. 

The original thought from a few evening's research was to go with an alien DVR system (family friends have this system software so I partially understand how to use it and also liked the quality of the cameras when viewed through the iPhone app.)

I would like 1 camera around the porch area, 2 cameras on the fancier of the house pointing up/down the road, 1 camera somewhere between the front gate and back garden of the side alleyway, 1 camera around the back door area. and then also one covering the patio and then a final camera pointing down towards the bottom of the garden. 

I originally planned on using rg59 shotgun cable, then purchasing the connections (i have a background in the electrical industry) and terminating the rg59 where i need to into cameras / dvr system and also purchasing a 12v lockable metal power distribution box to power the cameras. 

I have several old laptops/computers that I planned on using the hard drives from for external storage for recording the CCTV.

I'm hoping I'm able to have CCTV footage stored for around 21-28 days or longer if possible without spending too much. 

any help I really really appreciated. thank you, dan

Hi. Not a good idea to buy alien pro off eBay plus complicated old system 

what is your budget for your system ?

7 hours ago, dangrey46 said:

i have heard that an NVR system when recording can generate quite a large pull on the internet.)

This is not the case as an IP system does not require internet ...... internet is only used if you want to see your system away from home which is same for analog system 

lip is much easier to install and less cable and cheaper to run power wise

Hi, 

Thank you for the quick response. I don’t have an exact budget as I’m a little flexible on a set number but I’m thinking in the range of £300/350 if this is possible ? 

I’m still not to sure if going with ip would be better than analog; ive herd the cameras are 1.5/2x as much to buy. Aswell as this I’ve now herd from more than 4 people on YouTube that they do effect the internet as they require internet to process and download the footage onto a storage device. 

I think I’d prefer Analog as looking at the pros and cons online from different sources it just suits my situation better. 

any help I really appreciate. Thank you. 

55 minutes ago, dangrey46 said:

I’ve now herd from more than 4 people on YouTube that they do effect the internet as they require internet to process and download the footage onto a storage device. 

The problem with these idiots on YouTube is there trying to sell you there own out of date crap

ip systems DO NOT USE INTERNET you can install a Ip system in the middle of the desert and it will work fine

camera >>>cable >>> recorder is IP setup

camera>>>cable>>>recorder. Is analog setup

both exactly the same .... but you also need power cable for your analog cameras ... so more canoeing is needed ... IP is 1 cable

price .... more crap from sales and buying old stock 

ref:-

analog camera £20 

IP camera £25

on paper looks cheaper 

analog needs extra power cable also needs £10-15 power supply  .... giving analog price £35 to 40 

IP camera £25 no extras but has more benefits to updates more control and high resolution £25

now if this is for your home rg59 shotgun is hard to hide .. also needs cable management box at camera end 

cat5 can be used for both analog and IP most installers now use cat5 for everything 

Okay thank you. 

wokld you be able to recommend any brands of items for my setup for my budget? 

This is all very new to me so it’s all a learning process. I really appreciate the advise.