sodagar

Under vehical inspection system

Hello Fllows,

I want to install under vehical inspection system.If i use IR cameras will they last as much as they do in normal position.

As this unit will be installed underground with no shade above and the lense will be exposed to direct sunlight.

Any other camera for this requirement please advice.

Thanks.

S.I.Sodagar

I use an under vehicle camera just about every day on a military base so hopefully I can help. I do not know what your situation is so I'll tell you what we have.

There is a yellow bar on the ground with four cameras with a mild fish eye to them. There are also some normal lights between the lens' for illumination. (The inspections are done in a covered bay, sunlight is an issue at certain times, but the vehicle covers it for the most part.) In the guard shack, we have a monitor and 5 buttons. Button 1 is marked "quad" and shows all four at once. The other 4 are 1,2,3,4. This is useful if a vehicle is not centered over the strip. That way I can go to #1 or #4 and maximize my view. I tell the others not to use the quad because it is too much to try to view in real time and you have to drive slow in order to see anything.

Actually the main problem is with the sun light, the place where the system will be installed is open with no shade , its in open sky facing East and West.

The sun light will hit directly to lense for some time every day , in such a condition, how long the CCD will last.

We were ready to install the speed bump cameras however we found that when the vehicle descended (if you want to call it that) it went to fast and was difficult to see. Too bad because besides that it was great.

What about digging a hole in the middle of the road ,mounting the camera in the hole (in a suitable casing) and putting heavy duty perspex or something over the opening so the camera can see through. Angle the camera so its not pointing directly up, and implement some means of slowing the cars down, ramps, barrier, signs etc.