David55

Birdbox cam focal length and adjustment ?

I seem to have messed up buying a miniature camera. Decided to buy separate Birdbox and camera rather than the complete package, The package ip cam specifies 4mm  lens.(2mp)
I bought a 3.6mm lens ip cam (5mp) direct from China. The cam gives a great picture, BUT is blurred when close up in the box with a dummy bird object. Naively thought it would not make that much
difference. On the tech side assuming I could screw the lens in or out would that adjust the focus ? or would the whole process blur whatever the distance ?
Assuming it would make no difference ( ie you cannot make such adjustment) then the alternative is to start again perhaps with another 3rd party ip cam.

Would I need a 2.8mm lens ? so that the birds would be in focus with a flexible distance of 5 - 10 inches or perhaps the 6mm option. Technically I'm guessing 2.8mm would give a more wider
field of view hence it would be more in focus the closer I get.  Plan B would be to buy the more than double  the price "package" cam where I have already bought the box but would guarantee "in focus"
There blurb states "achieved a perfect 92 degree viewing angle using a 4 mm lens" and "We have already pre-focused the lens for use in a camera ready birdhouse but you can very easily adjust it to suit your alternative project applications if required" so in theory I could do the same ?

Have dissembled the camera and can get access to the lens, but don't want to damage the unit at this stage.

Hoping that someone would be able to advise without getting to technical.

On reflection overcomplicated the question. In simple terms can I adjust a 3.6mm lens to focus on an object say 5 - 6 inches away. At the moment
objects are in focus about 10" to infinity.

20 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. Yes you should be able too or use a 2.8

Thanks, very fiddly as it was a sealed unit, but worth the effort so now completely in focus. The only mistake I made was not taking photos at each stage of removing screws
(to expose motherboard )otherwise the picture can get rotated 90 degrees.

Hi. Yes well worth doing …. You know the price of bird box cameras

usually you can adjust lens without taking apart ….. usually you can get at the lens lock screw