Sign in to follow this  
Fotografics

PTZ camera with cable & WiFi?

I have just installed a Swann cctv system with 4 cameras (plus 2 dome cameras) but want to add a Pan/tilt and zoom camera.

It's an analogue system, BNC cables and a recorder. It's tucked away, hidden  in my office.

What I would like is an external camera, which I can control with my pad, or mobile phone, so that I can see if anything is happening outside while I'm in the lounge. But I would still like to enable to record the footage on my recorder.

I live in an area which has a fair bit of crime and I have my motorbike parked in the front garden, so want to be able to see if anyone is having a go at it if I hear a noise or if the external security light goes on.

Having spent all morning on the Internet searching with no luck, I wondered...  Is there such a thing, and if so, which would you recommend for someone on a budget.

Well, the lower the cost, the better.

I was hoping to spend less than £200. Even less if possible but I am aware that you get what you pay for, so I'm not expecting a £50 solution.

The system and cameras are 4k Ultra HD, but I would be okay with simple hd. Especially if there's a huge saving. 

It's mainly so that I can see at a glance what's going on outside without having to move from the comfort of my sofa! Also so that the missus can see who is in the front garden if someone knocks at the door, without having to go upstairs to my office to look at the screen.

Plus recording what's going on, together with the fixed cameras, as part of the security system. 

Hi. Ok …. You are best not with 4K and going to 2 or 4 megapixel as 4K ptz will use up your hard drive quick

how built up is the area around your home uk does have laws on ptz usage

2mp ptz allows viewing objects 2 mile away with a good zoom so I don’t think you want a big dome ptz

Okay, I understand what you are saying about privacy etc.

Let's assume that there are no houses or public areas affected ( and yes, I do have a SIA cctv licence, which I am not going to put at risk by looking or recording anything I shouldn't) and the camera will only be pointed inside my boundaries. Although I have agreed with my neighbour that we can overlap our cctv to give maximum coverage, so the optical zoom should be something respectable, a bit more than a 3x or 4x but I don't need anything like 20x

There are so many makes, models and types that, for  dabbler like me, I run the risk of spending too much for a piece of dog poo. Which is why a pointer in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Also, something the size of R2D2 hanging off the side of the house would probably attract more attention than I want so yes, I agree, a massive dome is not ideal. Although... next door has a dome about the size of a football, so anything smaller is game on!

I'm going to bump this up, hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a nice set up with Swann Cameras around my house. I placed a camera to cover the motorbike permanently, so that's sorted but...

At the end of my garden is my shed, which I want coverage from. My current cameras are all wide-angle and if I point one at the shed, it's just a little part of the picture. I can't see anything apart from a few pixels, certainly not enough to show the police if anyone broke in.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a camera with a reasonable telephoto lens, which I can simply add to my Swann system (BNC connectors) which doesn't cost a fortune. I can't seem to find any Swann cameras with anything other than a wide lens.

Since my Swanns' lenses seem to be about 90 degrees, I reckon something with a 40/30 degree or less would be fine.

Any suggestions... ?

Hi problem with Swann is they never made cctv it was by licence only so you could have a hik or many other brands from China 

BNC points towards a tvi system or a standard analog system …. Others are cvi or ahd

do you know the max resolution of your recorder or current cameras

Sorry about the delay answering.

It is analogue, 4k maximum resolution. 2tb hard-drive with inputs for up to 8 cameras (currently 4 fitted).

The cameras are Swann branded :  https://www.screwfix.com/p/swann-swdvk-856804-rl-2tb-8-channel-4k-cctv-dvr-kit-4-indoor-outdoor-cameras/176jt

I would consider a PTZ camera but, when I asked that question, I didn't get any recommendations.