NEW Australian Standard's for CCTV systems in Australia

Here is some info that might be of interest to you people around the world. A lot of work has gone into this.

CCTV Standards Released Standards Australia recently released three new Australian CCTV standards; they are the most up to date CCTV standards available in the world today and cover the latest CCTV technologies and procedures.

Australian CCTV Standards:

AS 4806.1–2006–Closed circuit television (CCTV)–Part 1: Management and operation.

AS 4806.2–2006–Closed circuit television (CCTV)–Part 2: Application guidelines.

AS 4806.3–2006–Closed circuit television (CCTV)–Part 3: PAL signal timings and levels.

http://www.cctvconsultants.com.au/standards.html

You can purchase the Australian Standards here

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Result.asp?PSearch=false&Db=All&SearchType=simple&Status=all&Max=15&DegnKeyword=cctv&Search=+Go+

From what I have read on the net, Australian standards are not exactly state of the art. Was reading about the electrical safety / fire safety standards in Australia on a forum today, and they were shockingly bad....

Are the cctv ones actually any good? Cant comment if they are, as you have to pay to read them, which makes it hard for people to have access to them.

From what I have read on the net, Australian standards are not exactly state of the art. Was reading about the electrical safety / fire safety standards in Australia on a forum today, and they were shockingly bad....

Are the cctv ones actually any good? Cant comment if they are, as you have to pay to read them, which makes it hard for people to have access to them.

Any chance you can send me the link to the electrical/fire safety info you found on the aussie forum ? Most of our standards are pretty decent here, but as with the typical online comments, many people don't always have accurate info.

The CCTV ones are supposed to be decent from what ive been told, I'm waiting till next month to purchase the new standards as our membership won't be active till the next billing cycle.

I'll update you when ive read them though.

Well you guys are kind of lucky .. we have no standards / codes here at all for CCTV, in fact there are very few if any for anything else either ...

Hang about, are these not just standards doen by Les (a cctv consultant) I do not know...nor have I read them yet, but these are not ASIAL or Government standards are they?

Dude, the "AS" stands for "Australian Standards" and are hosted on the Govt's standards website. So, YES, they are government standards

AS 4806.1–2006–Closed circuit television (CCTV)–Part 1: Management and operation.

AS 4806.2–2006–Closed circuit television (CCTV)–Part 2: Application guidelines.

AS 4806.3–2006–Closed circuit television (CCTV)–Part 3: PAL signal timings and levels.

Scope

This Standard provides recommendations for the operation and management of closed circuit television (CCTV) within a controlled environment, where data that may be offered as evidence is received, stored, reviewed or analysed.

This Standard is applicable to CCTV systems used in public places (i.e., areas where the public is encouraged to enter or have a right to visit, such as town centres, shopping malls, public transport, health, etc.) systems that overlook a public place (such as traffic monitoring systems) and systems where a camera view adjoins a public place. The Standard also provides good practice guidelines for all other CCTV systems.

Clauses on management of data, etc., are applicable to the storage of recorded images/data from CCTV systems.

NOTES:

1 Throughout this Standard the statement Federal, State and Territory Privacy and Surveillance Legislation means all Privacy and Surveillance Legislation applicable to the particular State or of the Territory of the installation. See Appendix A for a summary of some current Australian Privacy and Surveillance Legislation.

2 Some Australian States and Territories have Government Guidelines for CCTV systems in public places, which may also be a requirement for the implementation of a CCTV system in public places in some States and Territories.

Abstract

Provides recommendations for the management and operation of closed circuit television (CCTV) systems with respect to principles of management, procedures, personnel, control room design, incident response, privacy and disclosure, management of recorded material, documentation, licenses and signage.