MattVidionics

Anyone using DELL PCs for their DVR cards?

I need to upgrade my cctv pc. Usually I would goto DABS.COM and select a microstar, ASUS or simular motherboard (that does not use the VIA chipset) and build a PC.

Though, nowadays to just buy a complete PC from DELL "WITH TFT MONITOR/Keyboard/mouse/etc" is cheaper than building a new PC from components.

Some people are advising to stay away from branded machines such as DELL, Compaq, etc.

Here is a link to the DELL PC i'm looking at:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_c521?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=specstab

The CPU/chipset is

AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 dual-core processors

or

AMD AthlonTM 64 processors

or

AMD Sempron processors

NForce 430 chipset with the AM2 socket.

DELL are selling some really cheap PCs (especially with promo codes from newspaper adverts) and I just wondered if anyone has bought a DELL for this purpose (CCTV server)?

Matt

I wanted to use DELL because their low-end PCs are cheap (£250-£350). It will be replacing a cheapy PC world "fox-pro" system that lasted about 2 years - that was only a "really cheap" low end PC!

I didn't want to pay £500 upwards for a PC, then have to buy the DVR card on top of that.

This is only for a home system, not a customer so it doesn't need to be anything special.

Matt

I'm using a Dimension 8300 and it is has been running for about 9 months straight without a problem. Granted the system was originally purchased for over $1,000 USD in June of 2004, but I have not had any problems.

It was my personal pc then I converted it to a system for the cctv monitoring (using a geo card) I did upgrade to a beefier graphics card and more memory.

I was actually looking to purchase a poweredge 830, but none of Dell's servers accept a PCI Express (16x) graphics card. I have a pe 800 for my webserver, and love the case (especially the hard drive bays). I have scoured the net trying to find if anyone has successfully hacked a poweredge server to fit a graphics card, and the only thing I could find was some people were able to fit a pci express card in a sc420. But since the sc420 is pretty much a dim 8300 with a different case, I didn't bother.

I've chopped the case to add some fans for hard drive cooling, but overall it has worked flawlessly, running 24/7 (knocking on wood as I type)

If you go with a lower end dell, be carefull because you can't upgrade the graphics card (at least that was the case 1 year ago).

And make sure the card you are using doesnt require an Intel Chipset and that the cheaper ones have an Intel Chipset .. not just the CPU .. the actual motherboard Chipset.

I have a Dell at home that i had a dvr card in and the new card that i just purchased took up to many resorces to run the computer and do other things on the computer. So i had the local computer store build me a computer. They built me a Pentium 4 with 1gig of ram and a 300gig hard drive. I had a Asus motherboard in it and the graffics on it was not very good so after talking with tech support for the card I took it back and they put in a intel 945 motherboard in it and it is working great. The problem i had with the Asus was that the display wouldn't initialize. I was looking at a Dell but the price was so close from he having one built at a local store or ordering one from dell. Now if I have a problem with mine i can get it fixed within hours not days like Dell. I spent $620.00

LOL

I have a Dell Optiplex GX250 running GV6.04 running at my home. It's been running with four cams for four years now without a problem. I've only allocated 10 Gigs of drive space and I usually have about a weeks worth of foootage.

My home system has always impressed me (fingers crossed) with how reliable it is.

I'd never build to sell with a Dell or any other box system.......but to answer the question, I've been happy with mine.

been installing analog, ip and hybrids on dell poweredges for the last year and haven't had any issues other than 1 bad card

cheap pc's = poor system performance

If you are going to use a Dell Dimension, consider one of their models such as the 5150 with upgraded video and memory. Their case design has a vented U shape in the front of the towers. I have a few Geo systems running on them. The big gap in the front of the tower creates very efficient airflow through the system.

I have been using a Dell Dimension 9100 for about a year now without any problem. It is a 2.8GHZ dual core with 1gig memory.

It has a GV-1240-8 in it running four cameras 24/7 using the MPEG4 codec and it utilizes less than 50% of the CPU.

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 at my home that I bought in 2002 and have not had any issues with reliability.

I have a Dell 400SC that runs like a champ, rarely exceeds 15% CPU with 8 cameras recording at 640x480 30FPS.