cctv_down_under

Difference between POS graphic Mode sender and POS data capt

Hello again.

I just looked at the demo for connecting up a GV POS System, can anyone tell me what the Graphic Mode Sender is all about, I have up until now just been trying to take the raw data from a com port and feeding it to the data capture box, can you tell me what the difference is and why this program is used.

Thanks in advance

Hello again.

I just looked at the demo for connecting up a GV POS System, can anyone tell me what the Graphic Mode Sender is all about, I have up until now just been trying to take the raw data from a com port and feeding it to the data capture box, can you tell me what the difference is and why this program is used.

Thanks in advance

You may choose from 1 of the 4 products, depending on printer mode of your POS.

The 4 products related to POS:

1. GV-Data Capture V2

2. GV-Data Capture V2E

3. GV-Data Capture v1.04 (announced discontinued)

4. POS-to-DVR (just a USB dongle)

If your POS printer mode is:

1. Text mode + Serial, no ethernet = use V2

2. Text mode + Serial, with ethernet = use V2E

3. Text mode + Parallel = use v1.04

4. Graphic mode = use POS-to-DVR

A note to use POS-to-DVR:

1. Your POS must be Windows-based.

2. Must be able to install software into your POS system.

How to determine printer mode of your POS?

1. The fastest way is to ask your POS vendor

2. Read your POS manual

3. If none works for you, you may try HyperTerminal test to help yourself. (HyperTerminal is a function that comes with your Windows XP).

If the result from HyperTerminal test gives you readable texts (as seen in your receipt), it is likely a text mode printer.

If the result gives garbage characters, it could be 1) your settings (baud rate, stop bit… set to run the HyperTerminial is incorrect, so reset them and try again, or 2) your POS is graphic mode.

Thank you, very nformative, I kind of knew all that but it will be useful for the forum...the one bit I am confused about is....Graphic mode....does this still come out of the com port or is it done through ethernet without th V2E box, I can not understand why you need the box at al, I have set up many without the box, striaght in and without graphic mode software..so what is the difference I thought maybe it was for things like icons etc.

No one answered my post about this option:

4 x POS COM PORT ------> 4 x 232/485 CONVERTER (not Geo) ------> GVHUB = (4x 485 to USB Converters) ---------> Gv system.

I have tried not using the box and it works for one unit but have not tried standard 232/485 converters (I do not know if GVNet works in both directions) and I am not sure if the GVHUB looks for GV POS Box's or whetehre it is indeed just a 485/USB converter?

Never used any of the hardware/software relating to pos or geo, but in general as they are talking about testing with hyperterminal it will be through the com port.

From reading the info in the post above, it looks like the POS either outputs standard ascii text, which you can capture direct from the com port, OR if in graphic mode, it prints the receipt (or whatever) by not sending text, but by sending it as a graphical image of the text.

Basically the graphic mode may send control characters to put a printer into graphic mode if need be, then send a array of data that makes up the printed image (each character sent corresponds to which dots to print on the paper to make up the image)

The graphic mode software must just capture that image data and convert it into something geo can work with.