Sign in to follow this  
Savatreatabvr

Best Cat6 Cable & Connectors for LOREX Nocturnal 4k 16ch System?

Looking for good advice on cat6 cable & connectors? I spent $2,800 on a "LOREX Nocturnal 4K 16-Channel 4TB Wired NVR System" and after researching cat6 cable & connectors I've found many different types and to many to choose from. They need to be outdoor & unshielded with 200 foot max cable runs so a box of 50 connectors and a couple 1000 foot spools should do. The quality is important considering the cost of the system so in so many words, I don't want to put $20 tires on a $50,000 car. Any help is appreciated.

18543.main.jpg

Hi. No need for cat6 …. Cat5e is more than enough for cctv

i would look at cat5e direct burial in black it is good for all applications and will last years

the only thing you need to look out for is aluminium copper coated ….. in most countries it is not in regulation to use so buy from a local company cat5e pure copper 

buying from eBay or Amazon could give you problems in either coated or undersized conductors 

where are you located

2 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. No need for cat6 …. Cat5e is more than enough for cctv

i would look at cat5e direct burial in black it is good for all applications and will last years

the only thing you need to look out for is aluminium copper coated ….. in most countries it is not in regulation to use so buy from a local company cat5e pure copper 

buying from eBay or Amazon could give you problems in either coated or undersized conductors 

where are you located

I'm in Phoenix, most of the cable will be run under eaves or in the attic. Wouldn't 23ga cat6 be better than 24ga cat5e? 

Hi … ok why do you think cat6 is better

the lorex is point to point no large data traffic plus nvr is not gigabyte ….. so no point 

your installing a camera system not a network hub 

also the reason a recommend cat5e direct burial is the durability….. you can’t tell any difference between that and standard cat5 

but it will extend the life of your cable in all elements…. Above ground and under

4 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi … ok why do you think cat6 is better

the lorex is point to point no large data traffic plus nvr is not gigabyte ….. so no point 

your installing a camera system not a network hub 

also the reason a recommend cat5e direct burial is the durability….. you can’t tell any difference between that and standard cat5 

but it will extend the life of your cable in all elements…. Above ground and under

I'm an ex-low voltage commercial special systems tech so I'm used to using a little thicker gauge wire than 24 gauge so when I read cat6 was 23 gauge I figured bigger is better, right? We only used ethernet cable from panel to rj45, like 2 feet max, everything else was basically 18ga & 14ga shielded stranded copper wire.

11 hours ago, Savatreatabvr said:

We only used ethernet cable from panel to rj45, like 2 feet max, everything else was basically 18ga & 14ga shielded stranded copper wire.

Hi. Stranded cat cable should never be used for anything else other than patch leads 

cctv will not work on stranded cat infact nothing will on long runs also not regulations 

20 hours ago, Savatreatabvr said:

The quality is important considering the cost of the system so in so many words, I don't want to put $20 tires on a $50,000 car. Any help is appreciated.

But it does sound like you are ok with putting used secondhand tires on your $50.000 car

20 hours ago, Savatreatabvr said:

They need to be outdoor & unshielded with 200 foot max

This is why direct burial cat5e 

suitable for uv also wet cold snow heat 

95% of pro installers use it 

9 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. Stranded cat cable should never be used for anything else other than patch leads 

cctv will not work on stranded cat infact nothing will on long runs also not regulations 

But it does sound like you are ok with putting used secondhand tires on your $50.000 car

This is why direct burial cat5e 

suitable for uv also wet cold snow heat 

95% of pro installers use it 

Just wondering, how is direct burial cable UV resistant. They're both different classifications? The POE camera system I'm running currently has cat5e, not sure if its UV but I've always had issues and the system is only 3 years old so I think I'm going with cat6 Outdoor Cable, 2000ft, 23AWG Solid Bare Copper, Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP), UV Resistant, Weatherproof, Waterproof, CMX, ETL Listed, 550MHz, Bulk Ethernet Cable and Platinum Connector RJ45 (50pcs) Modular Snap Plugs/Clips for CAT6a CAT6 Internet Cables (24-23 AWG Twisted Pairs Diameter)- end Pass Through Ethernet/Internet nodes. I hope I'm making the right choice, that's $500 just in cable and connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087Q5Q3H8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2SOONC5PEF3WT&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079D2MD3Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1YZFEAB0CJC0T&psc=1

1 hour ago, Savatreatabvr said:

Just wondering, how is direct burial cable UV resistant.

Hi … since you don’t have to bury the cable it is still uv protected ……. If you did bury it still needs to come up to camera location

i did say in first post it’s used wildly because it’s tough and stands up to all applications 

1 hour ago, Savatreatabvr said:

I hope I'm making the right choice, that's $500 just in cable and connectors

Quick fit rj45…… been out a few years 

I would not use them for outdoor use … for basic diyer with no network tools 

you can look back over the forum …..lorex rj45 plugs are troublesome…… condensation tends to be the problem and your rj45 link is just another way to get a short with conductors exposed at each end 

$120 just for shipping of cable 

On 1/29/2022 at 4:03 PM, Savatreatabvr said:

I don't want to put $20 tires on a $50,000 car.

But ok to use easy rj45 

also a warning with using those connectors 

some switches have a steel plate on the inside were you insert plug at the back ….. not a problem with standard rj45 …… can also happen on some testers

4 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi … since you don’t have to bury the cable it is still uv protected ……. If you did bury it still needs to come up to camera location

i did say in first post it’s used wildly because it’s tough and stands up to all applications 

Quick fit rj45…… been out a few years 

I would not use them for outdoor use … for basic diyer with no network tools 

you can look back over the forum …..lorex rj45 plugs are troublesome…… condensation tends to be the problem and your rj45 link is just another way to get a short with conductors exposed at each end 

$120 just for shipping of cable 

But ok to use easy rj45 

also a warning with using those connectors 

some switches have a steel plate on the inside were you insert plug at the back ….. not a problem with standard rj45 …… can also happen on some testers

Free delivery for Prime members. I will be running 5 cables next to some romex, actually zip tying them to about 10 feet of romex. Do you think I should spend the extra money on shielded cable?