Sign in to follow this  
stefuel

Upgrade DVR to NVR/POE

I'm considering replacing my old DVR system in the main house with something with cameras that can connect to the NVR over the LAN or wifi  so I can add cameras to my new unattached garage.  The garage has power and ethernet.  It is also well within reach of a powerful wifi access point.  Looking on line, I see NVR's with a single ethernet connection and others with a separate connector for each camera.  On the garage, I'm thinking 2 PTZ dome cameras on the exterior on opposing corners so I can cover 4 sides of the garage with 2 cameras.  Cruise. motion and auto track a must.  Inside the garage, 2-3 stationary cameras.  On the main house, I will be replacing 6 analog video cameras with network POE and running new ethernet cables to each location.  It would be nice if all the cameras could be plugged into a POE compatible switch and one run back to the router.  Not sure if what I'm considering is doable.  Looking for suggestions.  

Hi. For reliability go with nvr POE plus it won’t restrict you on resolution 

1 hour ago, stefuel said:

Cruise. motion and auto track a must.

Cruise is ok …… but motion ? Does not exist while ptz is moving. Also auto tracking never works good …… what if more than 1 person

best using ptz with alarm inputs and using sensors in areas around your garage …. Also most recorders now allow you to use fixed cameras to tell ptz to move to a location 

1 hour ago, stefuel said:

It would be nice if all the cameras could be plugged into a POE compatible switch and one run back to the router. 

This is also a weak point ….. switch down or router down leave you no recordings and again calling all cameras from router will limit your quality…… always call cameras from a switch POE (managed if can) but still remember with a switch all cameras are open to the new.  Camera path on a nvr POE has better protection

I only ran 2 ethernet cables to the garage when the trench was open (one for backup).  So if a home run to the NVR is needed from each camera, then I would need a separate NVR for the garage.  Perhaps my terminology is wrong.  I probably should have said "human" detection and not "motion".  I was looking at various PTZ's on youtube that showed human detection while in cruise mode.  I got the itch for this as the neighbor behind my new garage had a break-in to his work truck two nights ago and about $4,000 in hand tool was stolen.  Previously, I was contemplating PTZ's on the outside of the garage but was worried they would think I was spying on them.  The cops came to my house yesterday to review the recordings on my DVR but non of my cameras were pointed towards his property.  Now, I don't think he would mind. 

44 minutes ago, stefuel said:

I was looking at various PTZ's on youtube that showed human detection while in cruise mode. 

Hi even human detection can only track 1 person at a time … so two or more people it misses most footage

also look on YouTube for human detection on front of guys house …… car crashes into his pickup and mail box …… no footage as a vehicle and not human….. he wasted $1.500 

52 minutes ago, stefuel said:

So if a home run to the NVR is needed from each camera, then I would need a separate NVR

Yes that true ….. but look at using a nvr at garage the same as using a Poe managed switch …. Exactly the same except a second video backup and a lot cheaper 

if both recorders are the same they both link together