jakleu

Non-cloud-based LAN-accessible cameras?

Hi -- I've been making Raspberry Pi-based IR security cameras with custom code that watches for movement, stores files on the local SD card (and transfers to a central server.) They work fine but do involve some setup/tweaking, and the image quality is poor.

My suspicion is that there are better, manufactured cameras I can get nowadays, but when I look into options, everything is cloud-based or requires an NVR to operate.

I'm aware of some reverse-engineered cameras that can be used with free/open-source NVR software, and that's intriguing but likely involves more messing around than my existing Pi-based solution, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

So, the main question: are there any cameras out there that can be accessed (either wired or wireless) via local LAN, that record to built-in disks (motion-triggered recording or constant loop recording) which don't require internet access to operate? (Internet access for setup could be tolerated.)

I don't need to steer them remotely, I don't need audio broadcast from the camera. I do prefer cheap/available used, but I'd be interested in any options. Live streaming of the video feed is a plus, but also not required -- main requirement is retrospective access of the video files for a time.

Thanks for any tips! So far I haven't found anything. So far it seems like the whole market is either "wire your own pro system with an NVR and proprietary cameras" or "idiot-proof fluffy-cloud-based doorbell cam that you stick on your wall and access via a website somewhere".

6 hours ago, jakleu said:

but when I look into options, everything is cloud-based or requires an NVR to operate.

AN NVR's main job is to pull video from an IP camera to save it. Usually there's extra management features too for the same brand.

But IP cameras can work independently.

Almost any brand of camera will be able to be used with another system.

For a DIY scenario, a camera which outputs an RTSP stream would be enough. That's basically 90% of the market.

The cheapest Dahua camera I have, has functions for motion detection and saving clips over FTP to a network location.

Thanks! So I'm looking for a cloud-independent IP camera that has local storage, and those are relatively common? E.g. the Dahua camera you reference -- can it store files internally or is it necessary to have a second box to save to, via FTP?

That's not a deal breaker if it's the case, but my ideal camera would store internally, and I could access/view it over the network (which I assume all these IP cameras can do via RTSP, as you said.)