steve6690

Version 6.0.4 - PC restarts randomly.

Since upgrading to V6.0.4 my PC restarts itself randomly - anything from once a day to 6 times a day. It only happens when the Geo software is running. I've eliminated memory failure and tried changing the PCI slot for the Geo card. (I've always kept Slot 1 free). I've installed the latest ATi drivers for my Radeon 7500. Anyone else heard of this problem occurring ??

Since upgrading to V6.0.4 my PC restarts itself randomly - anything from once a day to 6 times a day. It only happens when the Geo software is running. I've eliminated memory failure and tried changing the PCI slot for the Geo card. (I've always kept Slot 1 free). I've installed the latest ATi drivers for my Radeon 7500. Anyone else heard of this problem occurring ??

When you get a version of Geo software that works, never, ever, ever, use a newer version!

What version of card..1,2 or 3.. and does your system reboot or just Geo, check that you do not have cameras enabled that are not connected.. you MUST limit the port first to the cameras you have then de activate the cams

I believe it's a V2 card - it's a GV250 - 8 port, no audio, purchased Jan 04.

I only have two cams installed but I've just noticed that "limit port" was set to 8. I have changed the setting to 2.All the other cams were de-activated. The reboot that occurs is a full PC restart exactly as if you were to push the reset button on the case. One thing I did notice was that on the "system configure" the tick-box for "Enable De-Interlace render" used to be grayed out so I couldn't select it but after changing to 6.0.4 I was able to tick the box so I did. I unticked it yesterday and the Pc ran for a whole 24 hrs before re-booting itself. I'll see how it goes with the "limit port "setting changed. There's always V 6.2 I suppose (when it comes out) or I could roll back to an earlier version if I get no joy. Thanks once again

I'm using the latest version of DirectX 9 and the graphics card is a Ati 64Mb Radeon 7500. I think you might have cracked this problem for me though. Uptime is now 22 hrs and still going strong

I spoke too soon. The problem is still there. I think it might be time to build a seperate PC dedicated to the Geo system and network it with the PC I'm using now.

Seems to be ok now - after re-installing XP and Geo software (which didn't cure the problem) I tried new motherboard bios and chipset drivers. I have 512 Mb of RAM and after a couple of hours of operation the amount of useable memory would fall to around 60 Mb and the system would be noticeably slower. Since carrying out these upgrades it seems to hover at around 250 Mb and is still at that level after 30 hours continuous operation.

you just got it fixed? I would have thrown it out in the first week! But then im pretty impatient

Soon after my last post the system started crashing again. I have finally, definitely found the problem now. The Thermaltake case I recently bought has a CPU temp display and a small temp sensor which you tape to the bottom of the CPU. The two thin green wires that feed the sensor then run out between the pins of the CPU and to the front of the case. I took the cooler off the CPU to renew the thermal paste. When I took the CPU out I saw that there was a small nick in the insulation of the sensor feed wire. The bare wire had been shorting out against one of the CPU pins. I've now stripped it out.

Uptime is now a week and still going strong. I'd just bought a new graphics card as well as I thought the old one was causing the problem.

Just a word of warning to anyone buying one of these excellent ThermalTake cases........