portolan

4MP Lite vs. 1080p? Is 4MP lite something new?

I recently bought a new EPcom DVR to start upgrading my ancient home system. I bought an EV-4016Turbo-D(C) DVR because it had H.265+ compression and was 4mp compliant. After setting it up I realized it was indeed compliant with recording at 4mp-lite, not full 4mp. The dealer is offering me 4mp Hikvision cameras for just a small amount, $5 or so more for each than 1080P Epcom cameras. I need 8 to 10 of them.

What I can't figure out is whether or not 4mp cameras recording at 4mp lite would be any better than 1080p cameras recording at full 1080p? I can't find a comparison of 1080p and 4mp lite. From what I can figure they will record at almost exactly the same resolution. Am I incorrect? If there an appreciable difference? I find this "lite" reference a bit confusing. I would appreciate your thoughts and counsel for the purchase of cameras to go with this 4mp lite dvr. Thanks so much. I searched through the forum using the search tool and did not find information regarding 4mp lite. Is this something new?

Hi.  The EV-4016Turbo-D will only take 4mp lite so no point going 4mp

the EV-4016Turbo-D is a rebrand hikvision  with an extra $100 put on top

4mp lite is confusing but that’s hikvision for you 

I would not bother with 4mp with that dvr and just go 3mp it will help your DVRs stability if your running 8 and over cameras