coltswalker

simple reliable ip wifi camera for zoneminder

A lot of these low cost cameras being sold by popular outlets have a bunch of crap I am not wanting in a camera.  I dont want nor need audio, intercom, sdcard or anything like that.  I used to be able to find basic IP cameras that provided video I could view remote, manage / setup the camera from a computer web browser, and use zoneminder to record.  I run zoneminder on Linux.  10 years later the cameras I used to use are gone from the market, and the stuff now seems like it is full of bells and whistles that are not necessary for basic video surveillance.  I basically need to monitor the parking lot of some rental properties I own, apartments.  Audio is not wanted.  sdcard option not wanted.  PTZ not necessary.  Proprietary software required not wanted.  I feel lost.  Amazon seems to have 1000 different names and shapes for the same crappy camera.  I am frustrated and sure would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.  Did the market really change this much?

hi the market hasn’t changed … it’s just got itself confused to help sell crap and pop up company’s that don’t understand what there selling 

put Wi-Fi cameras into any browser and all your going to get is smart cameras …..  need registration to work ….. needs P2P to work and 3rd party involvement just to be able to use it

why are you looking for Wi-Fi camera ….. what is the camera distance ?

Distance to the wifi access point will be within the range.  Security, as in, if someone is able to hack the stream and view the video feed, doesn't matter, it would be pretty boring viewing.   I am interested in monitoring the parking lots of some apartments I own for security.  Also, maybe the lobby(s).  Electricity is not a problem but trying to cable coax or Ethernet to each camera would be a challenge.  If they can rstp stream to zoneminder central computer at my office is ideal.  By the way, I appreciate you reading and responding.

I have an older camera (10 yrs) that can be accessed with Firefox, programmed, and viewed.  It was nice.  Long out of production now.  It was not wifi but wired Ethernet although the company, back then, had a wifi version too. 

i use PtZ cameras for this.  but the sv3c cameras sold on amazon seem good for your use.  there is a 2/$109 special now on the fixed type.  i haven't tried one yet.