TopGeek

Night Clubs - dvr suggestions? Night vs. Day codecs?

QUESTION 1: Requirements: Dedicated DVR's...16 channels.. POS overlay... 1+ TB... accessible online.

MUST BE STABLE. Networkable for multiple locations with some remote HQ master software is a plus.

STarting with a clean slate... what would you choose and why from today's current technology?

QUESTION 2: Does anyone know if any particular codecs/compressions are better at night (dark) vs. day imaging - and/or rapidly changing light (as in a strobe light situation. I understand its mainly a functionality of the camera but just wondering if there is something to watch out for on the compression end...

PC Based.Video Insight..........I install and sell them. Extremely easy to operate as it is a Microsoft XPPro platform that has integrated with the Video Insight software developers here in country...........Go VJ120

Stand alone.....ICRealtime....I install and sell them. All standalones have some unique software "mazes" and I found that ICRealtime is more fun than work.........Go Pro.

WDR camera's are the shiznit...handle low light and IR very well, and cleanup the picture nicely........

This is going to sound counter intutive for a lot of people, but MJPEG will give you a smaller file size in rapidly changing condisions. MPEG based recording is not very good at rapid lighting changes. The image is fine but the file size balloons out of control.

Never thought about that but it makes sence, learned something new.

I can totally see a strobe causing MPEG to create excessive keyframes, I just never thought about them adding up to surpass MJPEG file sizes.

Yep. Keyframes tend to be bigger then individual MJPEG frames. But the savings from the other frames make up for it.

I would prefer PC based DVR over Standalone since PC Based provide alot more flexibility over Standalone... We sell iLink Professionals fully configured PC based DVR kit which uses Avermedia DVR cards and seem to work great and gives you option to Pick MJPEG, MPEG4, H264 for each camera and it comes with built-in POS Integration for most PC Based or ASCII/Ansi POS/Cash register...System can handle more then 1T storage and also comes with CM3000 basic which allows you to connect 16 DVRs 256 cameras and CM3000 Advanced version which you can purchase for small fee allows you to connect 1000 DVRs. They have live demo on there website I suggest you check them out. Majority of the popular Adult clubs and alot of night clubs in Atlanta use the same system.

Question 1

I also prefer PC based DVR over dedicated DVR, due to flexibility and powerful features.

We are a professional digital surveillance solutions provider,and we can craft one DVR software to meet your specific requirement. Moreover, As a surveillance equipment supplier, we provide complete lines of products to build a robust and reliable surveillance system, such as DVR card, standalone DVR, video server, mobile DVR, speed dome, camera, and other accessoires. For more information, pls visit our website.

Question 2

It depend on the camera.

Thomas is right, the more pixels that will change will require MPEG and H264 to record references and that data will possbly be bigger than MJPEG, This is also why you should never use MPEG for PTZ's that will be set onto a tour...so choosing a DVR that supports multiple compressions would definately benefit you and that is most likely to occur on a PC Platform.

Keep in mind that flashing light and high temperature fast changes are going to require a half decent lens speed and a camera that can see a wide dynamic range, not to mention the range of colours that will be associated with the lighting, so chose a 15bit camera as it can see more light levels and colours than other cameras.